Tailgate grab handle came off

engineertk

Octavia MkII estate. 2010. Rubber grab handle for pulling down tailgate just came off. It is intact, no damage. Can't see how to reconnect it. Does the entire trim have to come off the tailgate, and then what?  I can see an adjacent recess in the trim with a screw up there, but I assume this is only for releasing the trim. Grateful for any help.

You might be better off asking on the relevant Octavia forum or putting up (landscape) photos or video of the trim panel, the recess and screw and the grab handle.

Looking at the rubber(?) grab handle on my wife's Fabia Mk3 no recess but it look like the screw might hold the handle but without removing it I don't know if that does it or if the panel has to be taken off - if it is the screw that holds the handle then it might be your handle is broken or slipped out(?) but I don't know.

Edited by nta16

I suspect - since you see no damage on the handle - the fixing bolt has disappeared.

image.png.da85ef62f5d611eacfac23997a72825e.pngItem 24. 23 is the handle.

Part number for the bolt is N90651302

Looks like maybe only one of the two trim panels needs to come off to see if the fixing (part 29) is still there for the bolt to attach to.

• Like 1

Thank you nta16 and Inspectorman.  Since posting my question I've been away, sorry for the delay in responsing. It is now pouring with rain here, so with a bit of luck I can have a go at this tomoorw. Wil ll report back.

My suspicions are that the screw that appears to hold the large trim panel also holds the handle as well, sandwiched betwen trim and metal. Yet the handle is undamaged. I will learn more soon.

Thanks for the diagram.  Could it be that Part 29 is actually one of the many spring clips that hold the trim in place, rather than being a fixing for the grab handle? The image looks like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, engineertk said:

Could it be that Part 29 is actually one of the many spring clips that hold the trim in place, rather than being a fixing for the grab handle?

You might be right as 22 appears to possibly include clip 29 by the use of the drawing bracket to panel 22.  It's not clear as the drawing bracket is so close to the number 23.  Some lists will give quantity against the part number that makes things clearer (example only - 1 panel, 6 clips).

Don't have too much faith in parts drawings even from manufacturers as they can have errors and omissions.

Have look at the following parts site for a difference to the one shown but until you have the factory fitted part out you don't know for sure how accurate any drawing is or if the part you get is exactly the same. - https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/

Now that it’s finally stopped raining, I’ve been able to sort this problem out.

Given that the pull handle was intact. i.e. the screw hole was not torn, I decided it must have not been attached properly by the single torx screw that held the large trim panel in place. Then I membered I had removed this trip panel some time ago to access the third brake light. When I replaced the trim panel, although the pull handle appeared to be in place properly, it must have moved slightly as the dozen very stiff clips were cajoled – forced – back into place.  That meant when the trim screw went back in, it did not go through the pull handle.  As the handle is a very tight fit, it stayed put for months before pulling out. Intact.

So I just managed to fiddle it back into place through the hole next to the trim  screw recess and put the trim screw back in, capturing the handle. Sorted. Fortunately I did not have to remove the trim panel to do that – that is a job I would advise people to avoid of possible.

Two photos attached. One showing the underside of the trim panel when I removed it months ago – in the centre you can see the recess for the screw sticking up, and next to it, the hole that the grab handle goes though (handle is in place, but on the other side to the panel). And a photo of the handle back in place today, up close to the trim hole.

Thanks for the help. Hope this helps someone else.

PXL_20231123_110953534.jpg

PXL_20240224_122354506.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report back and info and photos (and being so honest, that's beyond many "blokes").

I bet you wish you'd remembered that photo sooner.  😃  Always difficult following up on someone's else's work sometimes even when it's your own previous work but at least you work for no money and make honest mistakes to yourself, when it all works out well in the end you have to just also have a laugh about it. 😄

To me that handle looks different to the one in the parts drawing above, perhaps similar though to the one on my wife's Fabia Mk3 hatch (but the car's not here to confirm) the recess/hole is different though.

For the PITA panel clips and panel fitting I give the clips and or sockets they locate to a quick light spray of GT85 (shake can first) to lubricate and ease the location and fitting of clips and panel, I start locating and fitting opposite corners first to take away any panel weight and having to use two hands together, then a gentle tap with the edge of the palm when I'm sure the clip is correctly located.  Things go better when you're not in a rush but Sod's Law it will start to rain just after you've started, at least you might get a bit of shelter working under a hatch or estate lid and somewhere convenient to place your mug of tea and reward (for wasting any of your life on a car) biscuits.

GT85s.jpg.9fafbe5c43f82a543a9d4b5addef7334.jpg

https://gt85.co.uk/

Well done.

Thanks for your kind words.

FYI: The handle is the same shape as the parts daigram baove. I meant to photo it before I put it back in, but forgot.