Yeti 1.2 2016 "gearbox overheated. Stop!" - engine warning light

Tien

Two weeks ago, I had a flat battery.

I jump-started the car and it drove well until the battery died again overnight.

Upon checking, the battery was only at 10.8V, so I assumed one cell was dead.

Today, after leaving the car without a battery for about 1.5 weeks, I ordered and replaced the battery.

Now, the car won't drive at all. The maxidot display shows "gearbox overheated. Stop!". The engine revs well over 3-4k RPMs. However, even in D and R, the engine can only rev; the maxidot alternately displays the gear number and a spanner icon.

The engine oil temp gauge showed 0, and the car (and its engine) is totally cool.

I plugged in an ELM327 (I don't have a VCDS or OBD11), and the only error code is P0947 (powertrain).

Has anybody else had the same issue?

IMG20240216180609.jpg

Hi Tien

I'm assuming this is a DSG gearbox

The error code may be a historic one due to the transmission controller having too low a voltage.  Now that you have a new battery It would be best to clear this code before proceeding.

The dashboard message shouldn't be taken too literally, I suspect the same message will be displayed for any gearbox related error.  The most likely over-temperature condition is in the clutches rather than the transmission fluid, and this clearly isn't the case here with everything stone cold.

• Like 3

@Tien  Welcome.

Not related to your question which might well have been a fault code from the battery issue.

?

But has your car got a Recall on the DQ200 DSG.?

They have done a 3rd or 4th one and now up to 2016 on some in Australia.  Best check if yours is part of it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Austin 7 said:

Hi Tien

I'm assuming this is a DSG gearbox

The error code may be a historic one due to the transmission controller having too low a voltage.  Now that you have a new battery It would be best to clear this code before proceeding.

The dashboard message shouldn't be taken too literally, I suspect the same message will be displayed for any gearbox related error.  The most likely over-temperature condition is in the clutches rather than the transmission fluid, and this clearly isn't the case here with everything stone cold.

Hi Austin,

The car has a DQ200 dry 7-speed gearbox.

From what I understand based on what you've said, the error code might not be related to the dashboard message. I can have Skoda clear the code later, as long as I can drive the car. However, the overheating message appears as soon as I start the car, so I can't move it anywhere unless it's towed.

Regarding the clutches, do you have any ideas on why they might be overheating, and if this could be related to the new battery?

4 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Tien  Welcome.

Not related to your question which might well have been a fault code from the battery issue.

?

But has your car got a Recall on the DQ200 DSG.?

They have done a 3rd or 4th one and now up to 2016 on some in Australia.  Best check if yours is part of it.

Thank you, Rooted. I have read many useful posts here but have never posted before. Thank you for welcoming me.

I did checked my car's VIN number on the Skoda website, and it wasn't involved in any recalls related to the DSG gearbox.

• Like 1

Hi

I don't think the clutches or anything else in the DSG gearbox is genuinely overheating, there simply isn't enough time for heat to build up before you get the message. 

It's possible Skoda have arranged for the overheat message to be shown when there is any gearbox related fault code stored, which is why I suggest clearing the present code before doing anything else.

• Like 2

@Tien As @Austin 7 implies (but doesn't actually say) VAG cars have a track record of generating multiple spurious fault messages when system voltage is low. In this case you have one that clearly appears spurious (because it refers to overheating on a cold transmission), but if it is deleted and recurs on next start, then you do have some sort of problem.

• Like 1

Update: I clear the fault code with the OBD2 ELM327 and Torque app/Car Scanner Pro app. The fault code then showed pending but the overheated engine on the dashboard still remains.

Update 2: Turns out it was a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, cleared the code, and now the car is back to normal. Thanks, everyone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tien said:

Update 2: Turns out it was a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, cleared the code, and now the car is back to normal. Thanks, everyone.

Excellent news!  Which fuse had blown?

On 17/02/2024 at 20:05, Robjon said:

Excellent news!  Which fuse had blown?

@Robjon It was a 30A fuse in the engine compartment (number 2) for the automatic gearbox.

image.png.36d3d47346d7fa31fdd261125091596f.png

• Like 1