Automatic connection to random phones

Although I haven't seen this myself, my partner says she's been getting "Connecting automatically..." when driving the car (see pic). It apparently cycles through numerous phones, some with people's names, and goes on for quite a while. I can't decide whether it's just picking up on any stray signals as it's passing people/cars, or maybe it's going through a bunch of phones in the car's address book. In case it's relevant, shortly after getting the car as an approved used, I noticed the previous owner's contacts still in the car. I thought I'd wiped all those contacts out but maybe there's something still lurking in there.

I'm not thick when it comes to technology but I've never had the time to invest in understanding the vagaries of how the Octavia's infotainment thing works - apart from registering my own mobile in it, a couple of years ago.

image.png.0ecafe297d8a7c60f7b1cb9ec17f2612.png

49 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

I would guess you have deleted contacts in the contact list but not deleted the telephones in the memory

Check the paired devices list and delete them there?

Thanks. Sounds worth a try. I think I need to find every conceivable way of deleting everything from the previous owner and start again with our own. Needless to say, the dealership should've done all this and they're playing with data protection fire by not doing so.

• Like 1

You can factory reset the infotainment. That's what I did when I first got mine:

image.thumb.png.f494bced7e25f7a9f312dadd6974cd7d.png

You will need to re-pair your phone(s) afterwards.

Edited by HappySam
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Personally i would only reset to factory settings in extreme circumstances because it would also remove any software updates that may have been applied since shipping.

I'm pretty sure it won't. The firmware is overwritten. I very much doubt any copies are saved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stonekeeper said:

I didn't mention firmware

Sorry. I'm pretty sure it won't. The firmware software is overwritten. I very much doubt any copies are saved 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would make sure you reset the MIB system.  Most dealers don't know how to do this; I had to do this on my 2019 when I collected it in December.