Total noob question 2 (space saver related)

I've just bought an Octavia vRS 245 on a 20 plate with 18 inch alloys. My car doesn't come with a space saver, it's got a pump and a few bits- doesn't currently have any tyre foam. I was just going to buy the foam, but as I had a Leon FR a few years ago with the same issue I ended up buying a 16in space saver with jack and accessories off eBay instead. 

Couple of questions then really- 

For my car would a 16 inch space saver fit over the calipers or do I need an 18 inch?

Also has anyone got any pictures of how the space saver sits in the boot as presumably to do it all correctly I'd need to replace the foam the pump etc sits in with something designed for the jack and space saver

16” won’t fit over the front calipers. 17” is the smallest you can go and I believe even that can be very tight. 

I’m about to nip out. Ifi remember, I’ll take a few pics of the setup in the boot. 

• Like 1

I had to use the space saver on the 220 TSI vRS I had back in 2018.  Looking at a photo, I can just make out it was an 18" rim:

IMG_0729.thumb.jpeg.2c5c700199e56486a56be8d541d8e136.jpeg

You can just make out the calliper being quite close to the rim.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I remember on my old Leon FR 184 a 16inch would do. I'm kicking myself really as I've just traded in a Leon Cupra 290 which had one and I didn't check to see exactly what the vRS had.

Suppose I do have a spare 19in (punctured) Cupra wheel which I can get repaired and use if needed till I get a space saver.

The Sprint Yellow vRS was the first brand new car I'd ever bought.  When I saw it had goo rather than a spare, I asked for a spare instead.  I got a lot of rhetoric and regurgitated comments, that they couldn't just swap a spare, that goo was the way forward.... blah blah blah and all of it nonsense.  I called off the sale as it was a deal breaker for me, and about two minutes later the vRS magically had a spare and all the gubbins to go with it 🙄

They do come up for sale on here from time to time, but there's always some to choose from on well known auction websites :nod:

19" - probably best to check on will they fit:

https://www.willtheyfit.com

to be on the safe side.

G

• Like 2