01176 key error. Immobiliser active

Hi! I know this issue had been reported here many times before, but I have not found any "walk through" repair yet..  It is my wife who uses the car, and she have said that the car didn't start maybe two times before. When I checked the car started normally, until one day where I get the Immobiliser active fault. I have two original keys, and I tried both, then changed the batteries in both. Both batteries were good. I have a simple diagnose tool, and it reports "01176 key". The error shows up again immediately after beeing reset. The only other thing I have tried so far is disconnecting the car battery over night. Not sure what would be the best way to proceed the trouble shooting?

Removed the top panel around the steering coloumn, and partly the lower panel. Removed three screws from the lower panel, but couldn`t get the panel completely off because of the lever for the wheel height adjustment. Can the plastic knob on the lever be removed? Anyway, with the panels loose, the imobiliser error was gone! Engine starts normally. Unfortunately two other errors appeared. The ESP light, and a wheel shaped symbol. Maybe because the wheel height adjustment was loose? Will try some more tomorrow. Wiggling the wiring didn`t change anything, and I can`t see any damage.

Took the car for a ride, and the two "new" errors dissapeared! Very convenient to have a car that repairs itself. Strange..

• 2 weeks later...

Automatic repair didn`t last 😞 The immobiliser problem seems to depend on the temperature. Now we have rather mild weater (above zero), and no error. The wife said tha car wouldn`t start one day when it was colder. 

The CR2032 battery in the key fob has absolutely nothing to do with the immobiliser, the key fob can be considered as three separate devices, metal key, radio wave remote control for the central locking/alarm (convenience) system and transponder chip for the immobiliser in the instruments. This is a radio frequency chip which is inductively powered by the reader coil around the ignition switch. When it does not start, does it turn over, fire and immediately cut?

• Like 2

That sounds like the immobiliser triggering but should give a dash warning plus leave a fault code in the engine and instruments. If the instruments report a key recognition error on both keys, the usual problem on the PQ35 platform (Golf 5, Octavia 1Z etc) is a faulty reader coil around the lock. In theory these cannot be replaced, you have to fit a new barrel with new key so the pain of matching the new chip or order a VIN matched barrel which takes weeks to arrive (in the UK anyway). However it is possible to carefully press off the coil from the barrel of a universal lock and press it onto the removed original but if you kill it that is UK £150 down the drain when a matched barrel is UK £90.

Edited by Crasher
  • Thanks 1

No, that is just the switch which goes wrong all the time, I did one on a mk2 TT last week, but will not trigger the immobiliser. I ****ing hate Autodoc 🤨

• 4 weeks later...

You can change the ignition starter switch on some. I did on mine and I think I had similar problems but along with other issues I’m not 100% sure. 
1K0905865 for mine. 
Here is a pic of the old one out and stripped down. 

AEFD8129-EA39-44B1-A021-46141E4F6E43.jpeg

Edited by Morph

Hi!

According to @Crasher 3 posts further up, the ignition switch would not cause the immobiliser fault, thanks anyway 🙂  I tried to troubleshoot by cooling down the area around the key with cooling spray, but I could not provoke the error to return. I think I`ll remove the instrument panel, and cables, and inspect for damages.

The immobiliser reader coil is the ring around the top of the barrel at the opposite end to the switch. You can’t buy these on their own, they come with a new barrels and to keep your single key operation these are a VIN dependent special order Vehicle Intelligent Part and take about two weeks to come through. However, if you buy a barrel with new unmatched key off the shelf, it is possible to VERY carefully push the reader coil off the new barrel and fit it to the original barrel once you have removed the old one.