VRS TSi 2.0 Which Fuel?

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Only if the ECU mapping includes timing backoff that takes advantage of the higher octane, I've owned several cars where the use of 97/98/99 made no difference whatsoever to performance, because the ECU mapping did not allow sufficient change in the ignition timing to get any advantage.

You have that backwards, timing is retarded when the knock sensor detects pre-ignition. The vehicles are mapped for the highest octane that would produce higher power and that depends on the compressio ratio and/or boost pressure.

We are on the same page though, many vehicles will not show any gain from higher octane fuels, its usually only the higher powered versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Note to J.R: I don't know why you keep bothering I've blocked you for you trolling and nastiness sentiments echoed by several other members. 

Says the person whose posting today on this thread with personal attack on another contributor was deleted by the mods including the details of your salary and pension.

You can blame me for that.

2 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Whose replies can he actually see? Think he’s blocked near everybody at this point. 

Want to go back on the block list? After your vitriolic remarks? 

• Haha 2

I use Shell V power in my VRS. Having the Shell app, gives me a little bit off my fuel every now and again and also being an RAC member, I get 3p a litre off V Power fuels. If I'm not near a Shell garage or there is no V Power, I'll use what's available.

Thanks for your input & opinions everyone. I guess there's no hard & fast answer. Maybe what I'll do is stick 'petrol' in it - and every now & again when I've got a spare fiver, I'll treat it to a tank of the good stuff and give it a bit of welly. Might go easy on it - leavei it be and just keep using the wife's mini instead... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I can see myself selling my RS in the next 2 years and getting something smaller and cheaper to run & insure.

I love my RS but costs may drive me to find something that is quick but smaller...

On 28/02/2024 at 21:22, jimcallaghan said:

Thanks for your input & opinions everyone. I guess there's no hard & fast answer. Maybe what I'll do is stick 'petrol' in it - and every now & again when I've got a spare fiver, I'll treat it to a tank of the good stuff and give it a bit of welly. Might go easy on it - leavei it be and just keep using the wife's mini instead... 

If you are going to stick the more expensive 'good stuff' in then you should probably do it for a few successive refuels to better determine what benefit is on offer because just adding the odd tank here and there will just result in a  shandy with less defined performance characteristics.

• Like 1