SHOCK ABSORBERS DISASTER

Hi all, take a look at this Shock absorber video, Skoda Grimsby and Skoda Morecambe both told me the car is safe and the shocks don't need replacing under warranty because there not Leaking enough.... Just Paid to change them both myself got absolutely fed up going round in circles with Skoda Dealership.  I sent this to skoda Grimsby and they still say when we checked all was well. Unbelievable ‼️ I only bought the car from Grimsby Skoda February 2023 at 28k milage 

38 minutes ago, DMAC23 said:

Hi all, take a look at this Shock absorber video, Skoda Grimsby and Skoda Morecambe both told me the car is safe and the shocks don't need replacing under warranty because there not Leaking enough.... Just Paid to change them both myself got absolutely fed up going round in circles with Skoda Dealership.  I sent this to skoda Grimsby and they still say when we checked all was well. Unbelievable ‼️ I only bought the car from Grimsby Skoda February 2023 at 28k milage, re MOT the car the next day after I bought it and I came back leaking misting front shock, they sold me the car with a clean MOT not expecting me to re do it... Very Suspicious 

Unbelievable shocking service from Skoda Grimsby and Skoda Morecambe 😔😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DMAC23 said:

Unbelievable shocking service from Skoda Grimsby and Skoda Morecambe 😔😔

Is that shock absorber good or bad ?

I cannot view the video, it says no video of the format MIME (whatever that is) is managed could be found.

What did it show?

Not sure what that video proves. He had to push down hard on the rod so it was a still functioning shock absorber.

Was that fluid stain nearby oil from the shocker or just some water as further seen in the background

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xman said:

Not sure what that video proves. He had to push down hard on the rod so it was a still functioning shock absorber.

Was that fluid stain nearby oil from the shocker or just some water as further seen in the background

The rod never came back up completely stuck down.. is that normal or no oil fluid left ?

Just now, DMAC23 said:

The rod never came back up completely stuck down.. is that normal or no oil fluid left ?

Won't allow me to upload the full video to big MB 

Allegedly the rod would only extend on its own if its a gas filled shock absorber. Oil filled only dont. No idea which Skoda factory fits. Gas filled are a bit more expensive so maybe not those

Both contain oil before you ask.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, xman said:

Allegedly the rod would only extend on its own if its a gas filled shock absorber. Oil filled only dont. No idea which Skoda factory fits. Gas filled are a bit more expensive so maybe not those

Both contain oil before you ask.

How did you upload this big MB video? I want to upload the full video of both my shocks but won't allow ? 

33 minutes ago, DMAC23 said:

It would not return if the gas capsule had failed, however you can see considerable force was needed to overcome the initial  force indicating that it was intact and functional, the fact that the video is cut short before showing the rebound movement is suspicious.

If the gas has gone but there is still oil in the damper, even 30% of the original volume the damper will still function correctly (unless internal valving has failed) and it would for sure pass a UK MOT as they are very basic, a French CT test with the vibrating plate and graphic print out would probably indicate its efficiency was reduced but it would still pass the test.

Edited by J.R.

24 minutes ago, xman said:

I didn't upload anything, its a link to a Youtube video.

Put on YouTube and sent you the link, what you think now? Skoda said they were in perfect condition 

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It would not return if the gas capsule had failed, however you can see considerable force was needed to overcome the initial  force indicating that it was intact and functional, the fact that the video is cut short before showing the rebound movement is suspicious.

If the gas has gone but there is still oil in the damper, even 30% of the original volume the damper will still function correctly (unless internal valving has failed) and it would for sure pass a UK MOT as they are very basic, a French CT test with the vibrating plate and graphic print out would probably indicate its efficiency was reduced but it would still pass the test.

What you think?, Skoda said Perfect condition

OK, that is 2 videos and the full length.

One shock absorber is in perfect as new condition, the other good roadworthy and MOT passing condition for a 6 year old vehicle, both would have appeared "perfect" on a bump test, I think your use of the words "destroyed" and disaster is unjustified.

The dynamic test on a French CT might, just might have showed some dysimettry (if that is the word in English) but they were both perfectly functional in my opinion.

For some reason your comments about the MOT test the day after you bought are now missing from your first posting but it does not show as editted, they show where you are quoted in the second posting, what is the reason for that?

If it makes you feel any better from my own experience you did the right thing, my front shocks were misting slightly but damping perfectly, confirmed on a UK MOT test and then a French CT test 2 years later, the misting was no worse, then during some of my removal journeys while towing I felt the car porpoising, a bump test on the front revealed nothing, the suspension was too hard and the wings too flimsy to carry it out properly, then with 2 of us doing it on the front slam panel (still a bit too weak) they were not looking good, the misting was no worse.

I replaced them and when testing on the bench without the spring they were completely shot, not an ounce of damping on bump or rebound, I was shocked because the handling was still very good when not towing.

So I concluded that misting was total rowlocks (which I have always known) it is leaking but the damping is unaffected for a  very long time before failing completely very suddenly when the last of the fluid was vented, I think the gas had vented years before.

The left shock absorber is perfectly ok and need not have been replaced. The right shock absorber may have passed an MOT but I'd be inclined to replace it.

Contrary to popular belief its not necessary to change both sides provided you are going for  equivalent parts.

The same goes for Springs.

Shock absorbers are wear and tear items and not covered by Skoda Warranty after 6500 miles/6 months.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/46df90c7-03bd-4018-be8d-a502e090781c

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/190724ab-ac7d-4c6b-943a-c80462816d1c

22 minutes ago, xman said:

The left shock absorber is perfectly ok and need not have been replaced. The right shock absorber may have passed an MOT but I'd be inclined to replace it.

Contrary to popular belief its not necessary to change both sides provided you are going for  equivalent parts.

The same goes for Springs.

Shock absorbers are wear and tear items and not covered by Skoda Warranty after 6500 miles/6 months.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/46df90c7-03bd-4018-be8d-a502e090781c

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/190724ab-ac7d-4c6b-943a-c80462816d1c

Left shock was leaking on an MOT the very next day I bought the car at26k milage was pulled leaking advisory, Skoda sold me the car with clean MOT.... Even had to wipe the shocks clean to pass the next MOT... This picture was taken by Skoda Mechanic Morecambe saying they are not leaking enough and are perfect, when every independent garage I went to said they are leaking and need replacing... Screenshot_20230817_135931_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fb29f2cdd28d1723a9444c8fdd61f34e.jpg

You left it too late, should have rejected it when the 1st MOT gave the advisory.

As wear and tear items, they are probably not covered by any warranty you may have been given and your 6 month consumer rights act period has passed, they did you a favour by allowing you to go to an independent which was probably half the price.