Help needed please

Evening all

help needed please my N/S bottom part of the C lamp does not work , I have checked the bulb , I have even swapped the holder from left to right but still the same.

14 plate mk3 2.0 Tdi Elegance 

20240307_182509.jpg

You might be better posting in the Octavia forum than here.

If it's not the bulb or holder then next down the line are connector and wires to connector, you could test for a live getting that far.  When you put holder is this the whole unit for all the bulbs or an individual bulb holder and presumed nothing LED.

Good luck.

Edited by nta16

Ok, need to review and check what's' been checked and how  I've had internment bulbs and even fuse so it can be a case of checking and rechecking what's been checked and recheck results.  I've know new bulbs not work straight out of the packaging (and one be intermittent), standard modern made bulbs can be of very low quality I always suggest going for the X2 (double lifespan) or special order pick up next day or so  X3 life (treble lifespan) from Halfords or elsewhere.

So please bear with me.

Car - Skoda Octavia Mk3 2014 Tdi Elegance - nearside rear light bottom bulb doesn't illuminate.

First what is the LHS (nearside) bottom bulb supposed to light up for sidelight or fog light - if fog light the foglight only illuminates on the RHS from factory - if suidelight carry on with questions below.

Put your headlights on and the rear fog light on to check positioning of fog light.  Have the ignition on and check position of rear brake light by getting someoine to press the pedal or wedge it with a stick (against drivers seat and move seat to a forward position to press the pedal enough, have something to stop the end of the stick damaging the seat hardback book, cutting board, ect.). 

• Bulb has been checked - how?  Has the bulb been put in another part of the light cluster or in the light cluster on the other side where the bulbs there are known to work?
  • Is the bottom nearside light position for rear sidelight only?
  • Is that position on the RHS light cluster also for rear fog light?
  • Is the bulb in that position (on LHS) marked up for W5W (5w, capless (501) or P21/5 (21w/5w, offset bayonet (380) or other?
  • Have you checked live and earth at the LHS bottom bulb holder part of the LHS cluster?

Whatever test equipment you are using did you check it was working properly before using the tester for testing?

couple of other suggestions:

Does the bulb illuminate if you apply 12v to it directly whilst it's still mounted in the lens assembly?

If it does and given you say you have checked you are getting 12v at the socket to the lens unit & there is a good earth from the lens unit then take a look at the female connectors, have they opened out at all ? if they have the male side may be going in and not touching the sides (had this issue on a Panavia Tornado once and took me ages to bloody find out that was the problem. )

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of direct wiring from the car's battery (clamp) posts for testing items, one or both, for clean live and earth (subject to testing this supply before use) - you can get those probes that do this too but I could never get my head around them.

For my Midget I had a long twin lead and a load of various terminal tails for direct connects as much as possible and a bulb, switch and fuse on one where it could be used for a yes / no / and an idea of how bright that inline test bulb gets.  But nothing beats using all of the actual parts in situ for testing or confirming where you can.  Slightly easier wiring on a 1973 MG Midget than a modern car or jet fighter though.  😄

Time before last when I had to fit a rear bulb to my wife's 2015 Fabia I forgot my own advice and only thought about testing the bulb or its fitted operation until I'd finished fitting the (one) screw and stood back, called my wife out to test this brake light and guess what - of course Sod's Law applied the new bulb didn't illuminate.   7 year old shed stock, duff new bulb (when bought) and I'd given away or fitted to my neighbours' cars all of the rest of my stock of that bulb and I had to got to Halfords and could only get 25% longer life.  Do as i say not as I do.  😄

Thanks , for all your suggestions . The n/s bottom lamp  is a side light and fog light , the fog light works but not for side light . is there some coding i need to do so it knows it should be a side light 

AfAIK in the UK the LHS fog light isn't usually enable from factory.

So if the bulb is a P21/5 (21w/5w, offset bayonet (380 have you put the bulb in opposite way round with the offset pins on the wrong side?

bhbhhb.jpg.05fb693ac2e802abba14a644ff957a1a.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: image

you Are right its not , i just wanted to prove that it worked , the RHS is a single  filament  bulb as well , it just makes it brighter , both are single filament 

• Like 1

Well, you left me guessing.

Short posts are great but only if they convey the information, as is obvious I don't do ****ter or FaceAche style of posts and being old easily confused.  Perhaps you and I just don't gel, no one's fault  it's just how things can be, I can bow out, wish you the best and leave you to more suitable others.

Perhaps you want to ignore the basics and go on to the sexy 'coding' stuff , or if you've made a mistake with 'coding' I'll know nothing about it or be able to help you but others can, in which case you may want to have a look at and perhaps post in 'Diagnostics & VCDS'. - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/23-diagnostics-amp-vcds/

If not - 

Bulb has been checked - how?  Has the bulb been put in another part of the light cluster or in the light cluster on the other side where the bulbs there are known to work?

...and the answer to above is?

Is the bottom nearside light position for rear side light only?

.... answer to above is - yes, no and maybe, depends on 'function and 'coding'.

Is that position on the RHS light cluster also for rear fog light?

... answer to above is - yes it can be if 'coded' for such

Is the bulb in that position (on LHS) marked up for W5W (5w, capless (501) or P21/5 (21w/5w, offset bayonet (380) or other?

... and the answer to above is? 

Have you checked live and earth at the LHS bottom bulb holder part of the LHS cluster?

... and the answer to the above is?