Which gearbox oil for Škoda Fabia Mk III 1.0 TSI

Hi,

I’ve had some really useful information from posters in another thread I posted following some issues with my gearstick getting stuck in gear. One of the things I’m going to do is get my mechanic to replace the gearbox oil. Unfortunately, I can’t find any information about which oil should be used in the manual. I’ve searched through the forums and can’t seem to find any information. 

Apologies if I’ve not given enough engine information in the title. If I need to add anything else, please let me know. 

Which gearbox?

My wife's was a 5-speed manual (PED?) and IIRC was 75w-80 GL4 oil but if yours is also a 5-speed manual (PED?) I can look it up to check for you in the very reliable paper printed car file to confirm (computers are flimsy unreliable things) or sources of info can be Opie Oils (if you have VW orders specification numbers you can look up with those too) or I use Millers Oils (Yorkshire company) 'What Oil' but bear in mind all sources of info including manufactures can include errors and omissions.

12 hours ago, nta16 said:

Which gearbox?

My wife's was a 5-speed manual (PED?) and IIRC was 75w-80 GL4 oil but if yours is also a 5-speed manual (PED?) I can look it up to check for you in the very reliable paper printed car file to confirm (computers are flimsy unreliable things) or sources of info can be Opie Oils (if you have VW orders specification numbers you can look up with those too) or I use Millers Oils (Yorkshire company) 'What Oil' but bear in mind all sources of info including manufactures can include errors and omissions.

Sorry, I knew I was probably forgetting some information. It’s a 110 PS 6 gear manual. Thanks!

Millers Oils (if correct) list as (MTF) 75w GL-4  with a load of VW TL oil numbers for the DKRC 81Kw engine, 0DQ(?) 6/1 box - 2.2 litre capacity - EE Performance would be my choice for this very infrequent job, I'd buy two bottles as you're very likely to have 0.2+ litre left in the box even from a hot drain left to drain for ages, and more with a cold quick drain. - https://www.millersoils.co.uk/which-oil/

Opie Oils has different info but still MTF 75w GL-4  and I think it covers double-dry clutch, double-wet clutch, DSG or S-tronic and some manual boxes but do double check all info and VW and or Skoda oil, spec, part, numbers if you worry about such things - nothing is made straight forwards nowaday and particularly from the likes of the German marques and brands. 

This next video sounds correct with label but it's to cold and wet for me to be bothered to go outside and check at the moment and you can check on your car possibly easier  (Note, IIRC the label only has some of the "extras"listed.)

A bit related, I have the 95hp 5 speed manual with the 1.0 tsi and how often should you change the transmission fluid?

My car is just over 5 years old now with 120 000km on it, and the fluid has never been changed (it has had one ''Longlife service'' but I doubt this includes the transmission fluid.

Thanks

Well some engineers and mechanics will tell you that it is a waste of time and money to change the transmission oil as it will last the life of the car, that is correct it is just a matter of if you believe that the oil, and the additive package with the oil, remain good enough throughout that whole time of the car.  Personally, and there is evidence, I see/believe that that fresh oil will be better as it will be overall less worn (for want of a better word) but people, as with other matters, can have strong believe on this either way and debating oil beliefs is endless.

VW makes no recommendations for the change so to me a reasonable idea would be say 5 years or 100,000 km but  6 years or 120,000 km would also be fine or perhaps sooner or later than both figures as it depends on a number of variables with use and style of driving.  I personally have changed transmission oil oils on a number of vehicles I have owned and driven and felt a benefit but some say it is placebo (i am fooling myself) or I believe the marketing of oil companies (well I am far too old and jaded for that now).

I never intended doing anything on my wife's 2015 Fabia Mk3 and for personal reasons only started when it was 5.5 years old and had 38k-miles (61,000km) with a gearbox oil change.  I have also changed the coolant but think that could have waited until the car was 10 years old, but hopefully we would have shot of it by then.

If you change the oil you want to check first that you get the right oil and that you can get at and loosen the fill/level plug - you don't want to take the drain plug out and then find you cannot get the fill plug out.  Best to get the transmission oil hot or warm (usual cautions here) and remove the fill plug to ease flow and volume and leave to drain for as long as practical to get as much of the old oil out so as much fresh new oil can go in.  There will always be some residue of old oil left in you are just trying to reduce this amount of residue.

I personally at the end of the drain pour some warmed (solar gain or oil bottle in hot water) fresh new oil into the transmission with the drain plug still out to act as a sort of little end flush/rinse and again let that fully drain for as long as practical.

I have no idea what a "longlife" service is other than perhaps a delayed engine oil change, most Dealership/garage servicing is just an engine oil & filter change and a look for other chargeable work and does not cover the whole car really, the engine is not one of the most important things on a car that needs attention though it does need attention.  Priorities are BRAKES, steering, suspension (all three include tyres), safety electrics (lights, horn, wipers, etc.) and windows and mirrors (see and be seen).

Long post, but I hope that helps.

Edited by nta16
missing words

Thanks for your reply, I will look into changing the gearbox oil this summer. Was it easy to replace yourself (if you can still remember it ofcourse :) )

I did get new brake discs and pads and a full service (spark plugs, wipers, air filter, brake fluid flush, oil, interior filter, and the brakes) so that should be fine. Thanks again for your very detailed awnser!

• Like 1

If it wasn't easy I would not be able to do it, I'm no mechanic (although like most of us I can sometimes do a better job than some professional mechanics).

Your car and gearbox may well be different from my wife's 2015 Fabia but the principles would be the same if yours is a 5-speed manual (not DSG).

The PITA was the plastic cover under the engine, I had to put the car on breeze blocks (95mm high) to lift it the car so I could reasonably comfortably get under there and remove all the torx screws (T25 IIRC) that hold the cover on.  Once the plastic cover is removed there was enough room to get at the gearbox fill/level and drain plugs.

On this gearbox (PED 02T) the fill and drain plugs weren't at a big difference in their level on the box and the fill plug was a bit of play to get a tool at and undo, not difficult just a bit awkward as Sod's Law whatever I had available wasn't ideal length but could be done.  IIRC the plug fitting was something annoying like a H7 not in my tools so borrowed.

When I had a look to see what tools I would need and check I could loosen the fill plug and remove it (cold box and oil) I took the fill plug out a little and had a fair run of oil which suggested to me that perhaps the box was overfilled when fitted/delivered to factory I don't know if that is the case or the case for all but the car needs to be level for refilling (unless you lift the car higher one side and overfill again).

Filling was best done for with the help of my (reluctant) "glamorous assistant" hold a funnel with a length hose attached in the engine bay to slowly pour the fresh oil in for refill whilst I laid under the car making sure the other end of the hose remained at the edge of the filler hole and to shout stop when the oil overflowed out of the filler hole.  Of course you could use other methods.

As I couldn't turn the gears in the gearbox to check oil fill level again I put the fill plug back in and went for a quick short drive leaving the plastic cover off and breeze blocks in place.  I had a mug of tea and done some better stuff than farting about with cars (that's a lot of other things for me) to make sure gearbox and oil are cold to check level, look for leaks before I put the plastic cover back on and tidy up, clean the tools and put them away.

I always take a lot of time on these jobs I never go at any pace other than slowly, I couldn't care less about any macho rubbish about how quick someone else can do the job (the usually exaggerate and don't allow for setting everything up, checking work and putting everything away anyway).  I also allow time for teas and pees and getting distracted by doing more interesting stuff.  I used to get neighbours ask what I was doing but they soon learnt that if I was working on our cars I was best left alone (yet I don't mind working on neighbours cars and stopping for a chat as I volunteer for those jobs).

There, much more than you needed or wanted to know, and without telling you much.  😄