Noisy Front Left Brakes

feirmeoir

I've notice a rough or grinding type sound from the brakes the past week, there appears to be plenty of wear left on the pads. I've powerwashed around calipers, cleaned the guides and used some copper grease to lubricate the guides.

Looking at  this photo does the bottom pad seems a bit glazed? 

IMG_4622.jpeg

I had the same sort of grinding noise on brake application but only after the car had stood a long time and surface rust had formed on the discs. Have you checked the brake disc itself for possible rust or other surface issues ?

( I don't know about the pad glazing. )

Edited by red2
Added pad glazing comment.
  • Like 1

I had a piece of road grit in my caliper, front l/h, I could not shift it and had to take it to a garage. It scored the disc!

Have you checked the back of the disc? one pad looks carbonised and the other looks as if some other material has

contaminated the pad have they worn evenly and not taken on a taper?

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

In my opinion, I would say the surface of the disc pads are rather poorly pitted.

Mostly due to age.

I would replace the pads.

Remove disc & clean up both surfaces with some emery cloth round a wood block to keep it flat.

Picture of disc would be nice.

Copper slip  all contact points of the metal part of pads, particularly where the pad slides in the carrier. 

• Like 1

I put the pads back in and sounded worse if anything.  I braked hard a couple of times today to see what happened, seems to be scoring the disc badly now, I'd say the front discs need replacing. They didn't seem near as bad yesterday which is strange, I can't imagine I put them in backways. Small bit of a lip forming.

I'm leaving it to the mechanic tomorrow to sort out.

Not exactly suprising, it had been sitting idle for a year with only occasional use before I bought it.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 19:53, feirmeoir said:

I put the pads back in and sounded worse if anything.  I braked hard a couple of times today to see what happened, seems to be scoring the disc badly now, I'd say the front discs need replacing. They didn't seem near as bad yesterday which is strange, I can't imagine I put them in backways. Small bit of a lip forming.

I'm leaving it to the mechanic tomorrow to sort out.

Not exactly suprising, it had been sitting idle for a year with only occasional use before I bought it.

I did in fact put the outside disc in backwards…. Mechanic sorted it out. 
Small bit of noise ongoing the past few days and it’s the back left disc that was actually the problem.