Any mini PC users? Geekom, Beelink, Minisforum, etc

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my aging PC and I keep seeing articles about mini PCs. I quite like the idea of having something small and compact that doesn't make a noise like a hovercraft whenever you ask it to do more than open a text file.

I've been taking a peep at various mini PCs and whilst the specs look very good for the price, I'm just wondering about their long term quality. There are lots and lots of online reviews (e.g. for the Geekom A7, Beelink SER7, etc) that give glowing reports of their spec and performance...and whilst I'm sure most of them are true, I've also seen a number of reports about how the quality control sometimes appears to be a bit iffy, with unexplained bluescreens, non-functioning components, etc. Plus the after-sales support is also sometimes called into question, with some people saying they struggle to get a response from the support departments.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these mini PCs? And if so, are they any good? Would you recommend? Or would you steer clear?

4 hours ago, slicendice said:

with unexplained bluescreens

AKA "BSOD" (Blue Screen Of Death). Usually these are the responsibility of Microsoft Windows (aka Mickeyshaft Windoze) and not of the hardware manufacturer. The same thing applies to most hovercraft impressions.

A lot of people use them in Astrophotogaphy to keep their star trackers aligned properly and to stack their images on but they use a main PC for the final stacking and editing so I'm guessing their capabilities are quite limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I setup an AcePC mini PC for my son during lockdown.
TBH it's run without a beat for about 4yr.

Admittedly it is an underpowered celeron and I wouldn't want to use it evrey day but it's done the job for us and he still uses it for basic homework tasks.
He's got an xbox for gaming.
I think he'd probably be better of with a new Raspberry Pi, I think one of the newer models would do these basic tasks better and would probably be cheaper.