DCC or Electric Leather/Alcantara Seats on VRS?

Debating changing options on a VRS. I've currently spec'd:

• The full Traffic Assist
  • Blind Spot Detection
  • DCC
  • Winter Pack (not sure why - there was some confusion on my behalf here re: heated seats).

Having looked at a couple of different VRSs, I really like the Leather+Alcantara seats over the standard cloth, but adding them (even if removing the Blind spot as included, and winter pack) puts it about £200 over the extra UK VED supplement.

My options seem to be stick with the DCC, or drop the DCC and get the (£2400!) seat option, as I don't fancy paying the initial £2400 + £2000 over 5 years for seats! Its for both me, and shipping the family, so (without having driven one) it feels like the DCC comfort may be useful.

Does anyone have experience of both, or have any idea if the DCC is that valuable?

I have both. And if I would be specing a new car again, would again take both. I heard from others that a none DCC car hardness is in between the DCC standard and sport setting. Which would be a bit hard on a bad roads for me. And the UK roads being notorious bad, I would says DCC is a must if you also like comfort driving.

Would absolutely love to spec both, but I can't wrap my head around 12%/£4400 of the cars purchase price on the seat upgrade in this case - If I had another option also to push it over the 40k band it would feel like more of a justification! We wanted the panoramic roof too, which apparently they don't actually sell, which would have also pushed it over - if I could have both, it would make the >£40k surcharge worthwhile!

Sorry, I don't quite understand how the taxation works in the UK. But if I would need to choose between the DCC and the el. seats, I would probably choose the DCC.

Posted (edited)

Ahh we have a strange threshold in our road tax where if a car is >£40k, its considered "high value", and attracts an extra £400/year road tax for 5 years. The VRS in the UK is about £37500 out of the gate in the UK, and optioned pretty well, so with my existing options, the extra electric seat option pushes it over, so costs an extra £2000 in tax in addition to the £2400 for the seats themselves, i.e. £4400 to add the seats without removing DCC all in. 

Thanks - Thats good as thats what I've currently got optioned!

Edited by bdavbdav
  • Like 1

I've got DCC, electric adjust sports seats in faux leather/cloth, the pano sunroof and winter pack on mine in NZ - there was a chip shortage when I was looking around, so it was all or nothing.

After living with the car for just over a year now, I would take the DCC and winter pack if it's going to be a family hauler.  Does the UK winter pack have heated front and rear seats and steering wheel?  If so, go for it.

The faux leather/cloth trim IMO is just so-so as the leather doesn't feel as rich as on some rivals.  If you can forgo this and power seat adjustment, perhaps you could lessen the tax burden?

As for the pano roof, it really brightens up the all black cabin heaps, especially in winter. 

Just front heated seats as standard, then on the pre-FL the winter pack adds heated wheel and washer jets. 

Sadly no pan roof at all to option at the moment oddly. 

I have DCC on my octavia rs. it really makes a difference when I selected comfort mode - the ride quality on highways and over street bumps  are more comfortable. I strongly recommend that you keep this option.

If you don't take the leather/suedia seat, I think you can find an upholstery shop in your area that can install leather replacement at a lower cost although I think the quality won't be the same.

Not sure if fabric seat comes with power & memory function - it does offer the benefit of mirror dip during reversing. But it's not a deal breaker function IMO 

• Like 1

I was debating the same thing, my previous Mk3 had electric seats but no DCC.

Couldn't afford both so I chose DCC on my Mk4 VRS & I'm very happy that I did 

• Like 1