Does L&K Show on V5?

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a used L&K Superb.

I have spotted one that ticks the boxes, looks legitimate with all the right spec, but when I put the reg in to Parkers or compare the market when looking at insurance, it shows as an Elegance.

I tested with a few other L&K's that were advertised elsewhere, and the all came back (on Parkers at least) as L&K's.

My question is, does the L&K show on the V5 or somewhere obvious and has anyone had a similar experience when getting insurance or buying theirs?  

Obviously, I want to make sure that I'm, getting a legitimate L&K and that my insurance accounts for that, so was wondering if there is a good way to check that everything lines up.

Be grateful for anyone's advice and thoughts please!

• Like 1

Welcome.  Errors can happen when the car is being first registered and the wrong info given. Spec.       Clear this up incase you are messed about when insuring it if you buy it.   I have had insurance quotes and bought insurance on models not showing the correct trim / name and then on renewal been questioned on wrong details. 

• Like 1

Hey Rooted

Thanks for the welcome and replies. They have someone viewing this morning, so it may or may not still be available but if it is, I'll grab those details.

Mistakes are also copied from one database to others, same for car parts and all other stuff.  Aways check any information you get, for anything, from any source including manufacturers, Government and particularly off the internet, if you can check and cross-reference against a couple of other (as much as possible) reliable sources.

As put a confirmed VIN should give original build information from various sources.

Good luck.

Thanks nta16.

The car is still available apparently after a no show yesterday, so going to grab a bit more information today before going to have a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ran a car vertical report, which thankfully came back all clear and gave me the VIN but not the spec...

Used a few free VIN checkers but got nothing back about L&K, so rang the local dealership who confirmed that it is indeed an L&K.

Going to hopefully get down to view it this afternoon.

Wanted to say thanks again for your help! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cornish72 said:

Ran a car vertical report, which thankfully came back all clear and gave me the VIN but not the spec...

That's a good start but it doesn't allow for stuff not reported and again could include errors, cheap checks sometimes mean very little (look at the get out clauses) and I'd not rely on a seller to know much or all about the car (or with some care or even downright lies).  Check all plates and labels on the car to match each other and match all paperwork.

With paperwork sort into reverse chronological order to check and cross reference it with all available information.  If the seller upsets you you can always leave the paperwork in the order you found it.  Computer records are also useful but again not totally reliable.  Really take your time on getting accurate research before you get too carried away with the car.  You might even find it's better than advertised or you expected but if it's not you certainly want to know.

Good luck, all the best.

ETA: make sure it has two fully functioning keys/remote and they are for that particular car and anything else that should be or comes with the car (garages/Dealers lose stuff and like to play shuffle with bits).  Take lots of high-definition photos that you can zoom in on a large(r) screen monitor to inspect and check.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2024 at 08:22, Cornish72 said:

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a used L&K Superb.

I have spotted one that ticks the boxes, looks legitimate with all the right spec, but when I put the reg in to Parkers or compare the market when looking at insurance, it shows as an Elegance.

I've owned both a 2015 Octavia 3 Elegance and a 2016 Octavia 3 L&K and neither Elegance or L&K appeared on the V5.

On the Octavia 3 it's easy to tell at a glance if it's an L&K from the Laurin & Klement badges on the front wings, not sure if that's also true on a Superb?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

Anyone tarting up a car can buy the badges, grills, trim and all the bits and pieces.

There was a Briskoda member with a Fabia Mk2 estate elegance diesel turned into a Mk2 vRS petrol look alike with the correct exterior and interior.

Same with Monte Carlos.  A Crash damaged non Monte Carlo repaired and fitted with the correct Monte Carlo Trim & body trims, shiny black plastic arches and badges.

Done by a member who is Body repairer / painter for his daughter.

In my young days a worked in a place where we changed Ford Taxis to Ford Ghia Models for resale.

I did trim, wheels, paint etc not mileometers. 

So not common but an accident damaged car which has not had a claim on the insurance might be repaired and if doing one and sourcing parts it is as well to source parts for a more desirable model sometimes.

Crooks / Professional crooks do it simply, steal a model and break it and use those parts to rebuild the damaged vehicle. 

Or the dead easy way, clone the stolen one.    Should be easy to spot, part codes, window / glass codes for dates etc.    Funnily lots float about on roads for years. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 3

Well, I had a meeting cancelled yesterday so decided to take a road trip, as I'd figured out from the pics where the car was. I wanted to have a look without the vendor there, so that I could gut check it before calling him to dig a bit deeper, as there were a few amber flags.

Suffice to say, the L&K interior looked very tidy but the outside of the car was quite tired. Top marks for the photography used in the advert but if a car has imperfections, I'd rather see those in the advert. So, I walked away from this one - I didn't even call. 

Having a look at something a bit different, hopefully today but if another L&K spec Skoda estate crops up whilst I'm still hunting, I'll definitely be checking it out.  So much car for the money...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rooted said:

Anyone tarting up a car can buy the badges, grills, trim and all the bits and pieces.

Yes it's what the car manufacturers, tuners and first purchasers also do. 😄  But being serious we know what you mean.

2 hours ago, Cornish72 said:

Top marks for the photography used in the advert but if a car has imperfections, I'd rather see those in the advert.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for the vast majority of purchasers it just puts them off what could be a perfectly good car honestly presented.  Any decent photo of a reasonably presented car will make it look good,  I've taken photos of cars I've owned for insurance and thought how good they look in the photo and I've only cleaned them and taken the photo with a very modest (digital) camera (not phone). 

I once sold a car of mine and a chap came to have a look at it for his girlfriend/partner/wotever, he liked it and I said he'd have to bring her with him next time so that she could look at and drive it if it was for her and not him.  I admit I took an instant dislike to him to say time, he seemed very smarmy and a bit , can't remember now but I didn't like it, I remained very polite and easy going as perhaps I'd got him wrong .  He'd arrived early with her for the appointment, probably trying to be clever to catch me out and I was just finishing off polishing the bonnet on a sunny day before having my mug of tea and sandwich before their arrival.  He started on about he'd not seen the stone chips on the bonnet on his first visit and I could see where he was heading and I admit it did annoy me as I didn't really take to the guy.  So I explained that if I'd want to hide them I'd not have cleaned and polished the car that highlighted them in the bright sunny day and instead left a cover of dust over the car that would have helped to hide and disguise the small stone chips and if he thought differently he should go and have a look for another example for sale, there are two sides to a sale/deal/contract neither are forced to deal with the other, he changed tack.

This was a Japanese car, they tend to be generally short people, like me, she wasn't over tall but very leggy and to me didn't look over comfortable fit in the driver's side but she said she was very happy with the drive and the car.  Though I'd not put a high price he of course wanted to haggle so I immediately dropped to my lowest acceptable price which took the wind out of his sails.  My wife didn't understand this until I explained that he'd obviously done his research well so knew values and that it was a good price, that he knew I'd not mess about with him given our earlier exchange and that I thought he'd definitely settle for that and buy it there and then and a sale is better than having to hold on to the car for a potential sale later at only possibly higher price.  I didn't have the room, time or inclination to hold on to a car I didn't use.  Many s/h car buyers can be a real PITA, wanting to buy a used car and expecting it to be as if it was brand new unused, some go power mad or too personal or emotional about themselves, the seller or worse still the lump of metal and plastic (or plastic and metal for modern cars).  Obviously you expect more from a Dealership, garage or professional sale but you can see why many prefer to sell to professionals or "trade-in" rather than potentially get more money from a private sale.

Edited by nta16
spelling

Yeah, times are definitely changing.  I'm Gen X, so probably prefer the warts and all, straight approach to most things.

Well, on to the next one.  Heading up to look at a 2016 plate Superb on Saturday.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1