Hi all, I currently have a 2010 Octavia estate. For what needs fixing its becoming uneconomical to repair. In Sept I will be getting enough money to get myself a superb estate. If the budget is £12.5k what would I be best off looking for, engine wise, trim level etc. It'll be used for commuting and long runs up to Scotland and out to beligium/France. Not bothered about a vRS if there even is one in the superb. Thought it best to ask in here as you all know your cars. TIA all. 

Well, putting aside trim, what’s your annual mileage? If it’s >12k PA then it’s probably best going for a diesel from an annual financial standpoint. £12.5k is generally going to get you a higher mileage, lower spec car, but there are a few nicer spec decent mileage ones on Autotrader too. 

• Thanks 1

The diesel cutoff is higher for many. The fuel costs more, the car costs more, the engine is noisy, it's more polluting. Many are discounting diesel straight away due to the pollution bit. 

You don't say how much power you would like. The 1.6 TDI is a full engine but can produce some very good MPG if driven right. Pretty much all the petrol engines are nice and smooth with gradually increasing power outputs.

Even low trim superbs are well specced. Go find a few you like the look of and test them is probably the easiest way.

Just bear in mind the dsg of 2.0 engines is different types of wet clutch and the smaller ones are dry clutch. Dry is listed as not serviceable. Wet is either 40k or 80k service depending on version. They are sensitive to needing it so make sure it's been done.

Clearly manual boxes don't have the same issue.

• Thanks 1