ABS sensor wire **** up!

Hi,

Today my son was “helping me” with the front brakes and for some random reason pulled on the ABS sensor wire. 
The wire pulled out of the connector so one job leads to another. 
My question is, does the polarity of the wires matter when I reconnect everything as I have nothing to tell which wire goes to which terminal in the connector?

So at the moment, the ABS light is showing on the dash as I just insulated the ends of the wires and sealed the ABS sensor terminals from water ingress. 

If it does matter what will I see if I get the wires the wrong way round!

All thoughts welcome!!

How many wire cores?

Yes it is, thank you. 
As I’m always keen to learn, what happens if it is connected the wrong way round as I understand an electrical impulse is generated by the interaction between the disc on the hub and magnet in the sensor?

51 minutes ago, prt57 said:

Yes it is, thank you. 
As I’m always keen to learn, what happens if it is connected the wrong way round as I understand an electrical impulse is generated by the interaction between the disc on the hub and magnet in the sensor?

The sensor is like a guitar pickup, a coil of wire surrounding a magnetic pole piece, the sensor generates a very small AC voltage of a frequency depending on rotational velocity, if you connect it up the wrong way round nothing bad will happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

The sensor is like a guitar pickup, a coil of wire surrounding a magnetic pole piece, the sensor generates a very small AC voltage of a frequency depending on rotational velocity, if you connect it up the wrong way round nothing bad will happen.

Thank you for your detailed reply. 👍