MK3.5 v MK1, Just my thoughts.

Sold my MK3 a few months back, will most probably be my last Skoda, nothing in the current  range makes me think oooh I want of them.

Originally had a 2002 MK1 VRS which I had for 12 years. My 2019 MK3.5 I kept for 18 months. On comparing the two variants to me they both have their good and bad points.

I kept my MK1 standard for around 3 years, then found this site and the mods started, MK3 was left standard, mods were planned but the itch to get a V8 won so the VRS went and in came Jag XFR.

So on to comparing the VRS's.

MK3 has the better chassis handles better than MK1, ride quality the same.

MK3 definitely has the better seats, much more support and a lot easier to keep clean along with the carpets, who thought white/silver seats and carpet in a family car was a good idea I'll never know.

MK1 has the better steering wheel to the touch, MK3 feels to plasticky, design is on a par. Some of the interior plastics on the MK3 seemed a bit more scratchy and hard compared to the MK1.

MK3 has the better spec all round.

MK3 why are the front window switches hidden behind the door handle?? I opened the rears nearly as much as the fronts.

MK1 opening the boot in the rain resulted in water in the boot, nice to see they cured it for the MK3. Both have great boot space.

The engines, 2.0TSi and 1.8T 20V, newer engine the better performance wise, both very tunable, and both have decent reliability if properly maintained. Think my biggest gripe with the 2.0 TSi is how many parts under the bonnet are now plastic, and we all know how plastic copes with numerous heat cycles, think I'd of been waiting for something to split once things get hot after a few years of use. 

MK3 headlamps loads better than the candles on the MK1.

Fuel economy on a run was good on both models, I regularly got mid 40's, and insurance was was good compered to some of it's rivals.

Both good looking cars, MK1  wins this one for me just looked better compared to lower spec models, where as the MK3 doesn't look different enough to the rest of the range. never bothered with the MK2 or MK2 FL, didn't like the back end and the Dame Edna glasses on the FL. The MK4 leaves me cold, looks like a bad copy BMW 3 series.

So which do I think is the better of the two?

For me it's the MK1, it's a close call, the MK1 just seems to have a character to it where the the MK3 feels a little to clinical. Both cars based on Golf GTi, the MK1 to me felt on a par to the MK4 GTi, where as the MK3 feels cheaper than GTi's now, VAG management definitely put a gap between Audi, VW, and Skoda, Seat taking up the cheap end.

Another to way to look at it also is when you park your car, do you look back at your car and think that's mine, I did with the MK1 all the time, the MK3 not so much.

Anyway that's my thoughts and opinion, let the agreements and disagreements start🤣🤣

• Like 3

I have similar thoughts to you, but only had my MK3 for ~2 months.

Fuel economy so far seems to be similar. I was expecting the MK3 to be a bit better.

There is no way I would get rid of my 1U5 VRS for a 5E or anything else for that matter, well maybe an Arnarge T but that’s about it!

12 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

I have similar thoughts to you, but only had my MK3 for ~2 months.

Fuel economy so far seems to be similar. I was expecting the MK3 to be a bit better.

I should also probably add my MK3 was also manual as the MK1 only came as manual, preferred the MK1 gear lever to look at and hold, found the MK3 slightly better on fuel on a run, around the same day to day stuff.

On 19/04/2024 at 21:56, dan245 said:

Pretty sure you just scored it MK1 3 - 6 MK3 ?

🎣

Didn't tally up the score that way, decision was purely based on my opinion on day to day living with the cars and how they make you feel. Buying with your head the MK3 is a good choice, buying with the heart the MK1 slightly edges it  for me, like I say it was a close call both cars have their strength's and weakness, as mentioned above on gear lever, probably other little things that I've forgot.

Just remembered another Tyre's, why did both come with different sizes compared to similar cars on the same platform, MK1 205/50-17, compared to 225/45-17, 18's are the same. MK3 225/35-19 compared to 235/35-19, Octavia tyre sizes usually a few pounds per corner dearer.

I thought I'dd add a few comparisons between diesel Mk1 Elegance and a diesel Mk3 vRS, i.e. motorway/autobahn cruiser.

• Mk1 xenon headlamps were lots better than Mk3 xenons as soon as you drove out of the UK. Mk3 dips down and right, resulting in hotspot falling on the verge about 20m from the car. Mk1 could be set to flat beam and at this setting it offered excellent road lighting. In the UK on standard setting, Mk1 xenon lighting was comparable to Mk3 xenon. 
  • Mk3 fuel tank is smaller, especially if you compare diesels, you could squeeze in 64l into the "55l" Mk1 fuel tank (by venting), Mk3 takes only 53l. Fuel economy is comparable.
  • Mk3 diesel on short burts has more power, 184bhp vs late Mk1 130bhp, though you could easily chip Mk1 130PD to ~155bhp with no ill effects over 100k miles/8+ years. 
    However, Mk3 vRS diesel can't use full power for long periods of time (autobahn) because oil cooler is too small and oil overheats. As a result, sustainable autobahn cruising speed of 184bhp MK3 diesel is only about 10mph higher than the unchipped 130bhp Mk1, even though Mk3 acceleration is  much better. 
  • Mk1 was more solidly built, many parts of Mk3 give off a distinct whiff of planned obsolescence. Corrossion protection on Mk1 was much better (fully galvanized on Mk1)
  • Mk1 Elegance interior (bamboo cloth) after 8 years of intensive  use was in better shape than MK3 vRS upholstery after similar period of time
  • Mk3 vRS has more boot space and rear legroom, in my opinion looks better than Mk1 in any guise.
  • Electrics/diagnostics in Mk3 are easily confused, especially if you turn ignition key on for a short time several times in a row. Though in fairness, this probably affects a lot more car makes/brands nowadays.

In summary, I'd rate Mk1 130PD Elegance over the Mk3 184bhp vRS. Looking at latest Skoda offerings, there seems little I'd want to buy. Small fuel tanks, petrol engines, automatic gearboxes, massive prices, software bugs... It almost seems like VW/Skoda are trying to purposely kill reliable long distance runners they used to make, perhaps all to make the electric short range wonders look acceptable?

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1