Returning to the Skoda fold.

The Yeti went, being a diesel, over 4 years ago when I retired and my annual mileage dropped significantly. Was considering a Karoq but the 1.5 petrol was experiencing problems at the time and the 2.0 was only available with things I didn't want, so I looked elsewhere and bought a Volvo XC40, in fact I've recently bought another one.

My wife drives the Volvo but often says it's too big (she misses her Mini) and so we've being thinking for awhile to get another car again. Thought about a Polo but I hate the new corporate front on VWs and so looked at the Fabia. One reason for returning to VWG is that we intend keeping the car for quite a few years and their engines are still relative simple, unlike my mild-hybrid Volvo. I know, like most cars nowadays, the electronics are complicated, but there's no escaping that really.

We had a look at one last week and really liked it, it has a very nice interior. Looking at a 1.5 DSG and having finalised the spec and obtained prices are on the verge of placing an order.

I will be looking for a Fabia 110 in the coming months. Which trim level did you go for? I'm thinking maybe not going all the way to SE L because I'm not personally fussed about SatNav, but I might change my mind. 

Be very careful about buying a Fabia.  We have the Monte Carlo 110 Mk 4 and although it is a lovely car to drive with very comfortable seats there are all sorts of annoying issues.  I've posted about the recommended gear changes that are seemingly default on the virtual cockpit.  That is once more showing erroneous readings and this time I haven't been able to put it right.  As for the accessories that are available, again be circumspect.  The rear camera is brilliant but we went for Park assistance.  The short snappy Skoda video is very attractive but in reality using the system is complicated and stressful rather than helpful.  There was no sat nav option when we ordered and the Garmin stand alone unit that I'm very happy with was extremely difficult to physically fit.  Maybe if you use a phone app that would be OK though.  I bought and returned several expensive methods for fitting the sat nav but had to return them.  The windscreen is hard to reach and the material used for the dash is textured and it slopes steeply so nothing will stay resting on its surface unless you are willing to experimenting with adhesives.  Then there's the synching of a phone with the infotainment system.  That was a nightmare.  You have no ignition key so when fiddling around getting things working the engine has to be running.  Fabia were in the past a good choice for older drivers but currently they seem to have forgotten about keeping things simple and reliable.  I don't think Skoda have sufficient expertise to iron out bugs in their electronic systems.

Sorry that you seem to be having issues. My field of work is IT/programming/systems engineer, so I'm in with a good shout at trying to work out the entertainment system. Mind you, I'm not keen on the keyless entry and ignition system as I've heard that it's more vulnerable to car thieves than traditional key setups. Is that the case with Skoda?

As for the gearshift indicator, that's annoying. I will have a look at your previous posts to get an idea of whether DSG is the best option. 

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the replies. It's the SE L trim with a few extras.

We will have the built-in sat nav and won't be using our phones for that etc. so won't be an issue for us. We're older drivers and I can't see the Fabia being a problem compared with our Volvo when it comes to complicated and electronics! Have ordered the rear camera so good to hear that's great. Never ordered Park Assist on any of our cars as wouldn't use it.

What's your problem with the DSG? My experience of them has been good.

Got to say that I have the SE Comfort DSG version and love almost everything about it (also an older driver).

The gearbox itself is a dream and the trim and comfort levels are great. Seats are super comfy. 

Most things are easy to use. This model also does not have sat-nav so I use Android Auto with Google maps even though I'm not much of a 'phone user generally.

The only real thing that I dislike, and wound change if I could, is the music system as it really doesn't suit my needs.

I've rattled on a bit about this before so won't bother again but would still go back to a CD player if it were available.

I have done a couple of slightly in-depth reviews over the 8 months I've had this car, which can be found if you go back through my posts ... if you are interested.

Upshot is .... a great car all round.

@offthewall I will definitely have a look at your posts. I also use a reasonably cheap Android phone for music and maps in my current car. I think that the SE Comfort trim with the 110 engine and DSG could be a firm favourite.

I'm not sure I could go back to CD's in the car. I pay for an Apple Music subscription, as it works quite well on my OnePlus Android phone, and it suits me well. 

2 minutes ago, JFrankMiller said:

@offthewall I will definitely have a look at your posts. I also use a reasonably cheap Android phone for music and maps in my current car. I think that the SE Comfort trim with the 110 engine and DSG could be a firm favourite.

I'm not sure I could go back to CD's in the car. I pay for an Apple Music subscription, as it works quite well on my OnePlus Android phone, and it suits me well. 

I understand the current thinking on Streaming platforms but that is not really for me.

Quite simply, I've been making my own music for a number of years as an amateur songwriter and have dozens of my own CD's that I like to play in the car.

I have followed advise and put them all on USB memory stick but, unfortunately due to bad programming by Skoda, the tracks will not play in any order other than alphabetical.  

Drives me crazy as most albums are compiled in a certain playing order.

Anyway .... ranted on about this too much already. Sorry for starting again!

Thanks offthewall that's really positive.

BTandSid - I'll post my comments later as I'm decorating my son's flat at the moment.

Chris

9 minutes ago, offthewall said:

...he tracks will not play in any order other than alphabetical.  

Drives me crazy as most albums are compiled in a certain playing order.

Anyway .... ranted on about this too much already. Sorry for starting again!

That is, quite frankly, urine-poor! It's reminiscent of a 2010 MP3 player or something, not a modern device that they pay so much attention to in cramming new features into, that they forget something as simple as folder navigation. 

No better in the Volvo! And with the latest Android Auto version you even have to download an app to even play music via USB! Progress!!!

47 minutes ago, JFrankMiller said:

That is, quite frankly, urine-poor! It's reminiscent of a 2010 MP3 player or something, not a modern device that they pay so much attention to in cramming new features into, that they forget something as simple as folder navigation. 

I see you have a Kia in your profile.

My last car was a Kia Picanto where you had options on which order to play files. You could select to play in random, alphabetical or as in the original file structure.

Simple.

I've stopped using the USB function altogether now and am actively looking for a compatible portable CD player to plug in.

Pretty happy with my Monte Carlo other than the very low maximum volume on the head unit. It is the lowest maximum level of any car I have owned. My wife's VW UP with the Beats audio system is unlistenable at anything over 50% volume. My Fabia sits at full volume all the time. What I have noticed it basically reaches maximum volume at about 70%, the following 30% adds nothing.

Due its 1st service in a few weeks, so hopefully get to listen to the volume levels of any other Fabias in showroom.

Edited by Tintowellfan

3 hours ago, offthewall said:

I see you have a Kia in your profile.

My last car was a Kia Picanto where you had options on which order to play files. You could select to play in random, alphabetical or as in the original file structure.

Simple.

I've stopped using the USB function altogether now and am actively looking for a compatible portable CD player to plug in.

Yeah. I'm actually quite happy with the stereo in my Kia Rio. For a 12 year old bangernomics motor it sounds surprisingly good. 

I've got anecdotal evidence from another guy at work that the stereo in the Fabia sounds good. Not sure if I'll find it a bit quiet after what @Tintowellfan says. But I do need a new car. The Rio has been good, and it's super-frugal on diesel, but it's starting to have seen better days.

Yes, that matches with what I found on the configurater a few days ago. Looks like I've been timely with looking to get a Fabia.

When I spoke to a local Skoda dealer about ordering a 2024 UK-specification Fabia and asked about the likely delivery lead-time for a factory order, I was told perhaps two months but that would depend on what options the buyer specified. It was also believed that, by the time factory-ordered Fabias arrived in the UK, their list-price would have increased.

(There is a French website that provides delivery lead-times and, for a 2024-spec Fabia, 6 to 7 months is stated.)

Posted (edited)

I asked the dealer last week when we popped in to have a look and he reckoned 4 months. That would be good but I wouldn't be surprised if it increases.

Edited by VAGCF

• 2 weeks later...

Had a test drive this morning, well my wife did, I didn't bother swopping in the end.  I rode in the back and at 6' 1" was impressed with the amount of space.

It was the 1.0 TSI which goes very well but we're sticking with the 1.5 - wife found it easy to drive and enjoyed driving it.

Did the deal and car ordered. Skoda are doing an additional discount of £750 for taking a test drive as well as the £1250 finance contribution this month. 

Specification decided on in the end was:

Skoda Fabia SE L
1.5 TSI DSG
Race Blue Metallic
Safety Package
Light & View Plus Package
Convenience Package
Winter Premium Package
Simply Clever Plus Package
Spare Wheel
Tow bar preparation
5 year extended warranty
Service Plan - 2 Years

Delivery expected in September.

Check out the rear camera - don't know if that's standard or not but it's well worth having.  Watch out when Skoda describe extras as  «simply clever».  I'll be interested to read your verdict on the direct shift gear box.  The best extra I got was a free £500 petrol card.

Yeah, got that, it's part of the Convenience Package, we find it really useful in the Volvo, though that has the 360 degree cameras as well.

I've had experience of DSGs already (including my XC40 with Volvo's equivalent) and my wife test drove a Fabia and the DSG performed well so I'm expecting good things on that front.

Makes me smile when I keep reading Simply Clever. My Passats from the 2000s had the receptacle for an umbrella in the end of the door so that's nothing new and the other things are hardly rocket science!

Edited by VAGCF