Tyres: low slung or normal?

At around $300 per tyre (times 4) can they have normal tyres on them  or must they maintain the European sports car look ?

Just asking as I am aware  that these cars do not have spares .

5 hours ago, Jemm said:

At around $300 per tyre (times 4) can they have normal tyres on them  or must they maintain the European sports car look ?

Just asking as I am aware  that these cars do not have spares .

I assume by normal tyres you mean NOT low profile ! if so you would have to get smaller wheels so it can account for a different

rolling circumference, as if you did not change the the wheel size the car would not be doing the speed your Speedo was showing.

Use this site so you can see the sizes:  https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=245&aspect=65&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=50&width2=265&aspect2=65&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7.5&offset2=50 

Not so, look at the EU certificate of conformity and you will see all the wheel and tyre size combinations thatare approved to be fitted to your vehicle.

My vehicle can run 205/55/16" (my winter wheels) or 215/60/16"

"if you did not change the the wheel size the car would not be doing the speed your Speedo was showing"

I doubt that one in a million owners of newer vehicles fitted with the approved tyre sizes has a speedometer that shows the exact speed the vehicle is doing, it would be on the cusp of illegality, all speedos have to over-read within prescribed limits, the  lower one being the actual speed

The speedometer over-reads on both sets of tyres, by about 8% on the winter ones.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou for explaining about the tyres as I do not  have anyone to ask about them  hence, asking on here.

16 hours ago, spcdust said:

Surely your car insurance company needs to ensure that the car is returned to the state it was in before the car was stolen?  That's the very essence of car insurance.  If these issues existed before the car was stolen then you are responsible for getting them fixed.

Thankyou.

3 hours ago, RADIOTWO said:

Use this site so you can see the sizes: 

To the OP, please be wary of fitting a wheel and tyre combination other than the ones that are homologated by the manufacturer and that especially includes the speed and weight rating, whilst the risk of prosecution is tiny your insurers may use it against you in the event of a major claim and the vehicle may fail an MOT test

Posted (edited)

What model Octavia do you have and currently what wheel and tyre size are fitted?

4 x $300 seems a lot for Ocatavia tyres, so also tell us what tyre manufacturer and type you are looking at. 

I have saved a lot of money with reputable brands by shopping around on the internet for my cars' tyres. If I'd just stuck with the brand fitted when new it would have cost me a lot more, and they weren't that good a tyre anyway.

As @J.R. says, if you open the fuel filler there will be a table of different acceptable wheel and tyre sizes that can be fitted and their recommended pressures. 

Of course, a radical size change will incur the extra expense of new rims AND new tyres. Some people do this to get the ride characteristics they want but your concerns seem mainly at the price

I believe that NSW vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle(?) (we don't have this in South Australia) so you should follow the size recommendations.

I thought all Octavia came at least a spacesaver spare tyre in Aus?

I would not buy any car with just a can of 'goo' for our driving environment. Which will be a bit of a problem when I look at changing to an EV as 90% of them don't have a spare.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

That is true of any vehicle that never moves a wheel.

It would help if you were to specify what wheel and tyre size you have and what was the homologated size or factory fitment.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 11:18, J.R. said:

The speedometer over-reads on both sets of tyres, by about 8% on the winter ones.

That does not sound right for a modern car.

Speaking of my Octavia, it shows 1,5-2km/h higher on any speed, be it 20 or 180. Checked both with GPS and radars. Factory fitted 225/45R18.

My experience with speedometer accuracy is that there is quite a bit of variation between cars and even between individual cars of the same make and model.

The worst was a barely legal 9.5% optimistic so I had to travel at an indicated 120kph for a true 110kph, and even its odometer was nearly as bad (which sort of suited me for tax purposes).

My two Skoda were/are about 7% and 6% optimistic although the odo is almost spot on in both cases.

I remember reading a review of a Rolls Royce and even that speedo was about 4% optimistic.

My current 2003 Toyota Echo with digital speedo display is within 2% accuracy judged by GPS.

So, everyone's individual claims are probably right, and it is what it is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edela said:

That does not sound right for a modern car.

Speaking of my Octavia, it shows 1,5-2km/h higher on any speed, be it 20 or 180. Checked both with GPS and radars. Factory fitted 225/45R18.

It sounds exactly right if you look at what the law requires, the winter tyres although homologated are narrower and lower profile so the 8% error is understandable as they are intended for limited use.

A GPS whilst not having the variations due to tyre sizes and the legal obligation to never under-read should not be taken as an accurate measure or used for calibration, any inclineup or down will result in an incorrect reading.

Not sure how you claim your speedo was checked by radar but if you mean one of the pédagogique speed displays they are all over the place and display the approximate speed you were doing some seconds before if it was even your vehicle.