Steering wheel radio control

Frenchtone

Hi all'

Got a problem with the radio control roller wheel mounted in the lhs of the steering wheel  --  it has become difficult to turn, what do i use to squirt around it to clean it off, otherwise hew do I demount the little panel to gain(hopefully)better access.

Suggestions please!

Posted (edited)

Have you tried switch cleaner? I used to use WD 40 but it always seems messy the switch cleaner moves dirt and frees stuff up.

If required I re-lube with fine oil using a cocktail stick or something similar just a single drop.

Strangely the contact cleaner is a WD 40 product and has a fixed spray pipe.

Edited by gumdrop

My first thought would have been WD40 but I recently sawa  warning about not using it to free up stiff door locks because although intitially it will seem to do the job apparently it does "attract" dust (presumably holds onto fine dust that gets in) so causes problems later on. The advice was to use a fine graphite powder. Presumably the same could happen with switches. So I would agree for your problem to first try a proper switch cleaner as hopefully even if it doesn't resolve the problem it won't make it worse in the short or longer term.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

My first thought would have been WD40 but I recently sawa  warning about not using it to free up stiff door locks because although intitially it will seem to do the job apparently it does "attract" dust (presumably holds onto fine dust that gets in) so causes problems later on. The advice was to use a fine graphite powder. Presumably the same could happen with switches. So I would agree for your problem to first try a proper switch cleaner as hopefully even if it doesn't resolve the problem it won't make it worse in the short or longer term.  

To avoid any misinterpretation, don't use graphite powder near anything electrical! - it's electrically conductive. Great in locks, but for switches, use a dedicated switch contact cleaner or isopropanol only.

Edited by Warrior193
added information

Thanks for clearing that up - rereading my post the unwary could think I was suggesting using graphite powder for the switch problems (which wasn't my intention) and that could turn a problem into a disaster!

Ok, I gave it a dose of RS switch cleaner yesterday, it's much free er today, I'll give it some more today and that should hopefully cure it, thanks for the heads up!

Hello i just installed thule evo wing bar 127 i have noise from them do you know the reason??? Anyone else has the same problem

A little more info, I gave the wheel a second squirt of cleaner, the bar was in a horizontal position, and when I came to try the volume control it was back sticky etc so, i placed said bar in the vertical position and repeated the cleaning, left it overnight and as the froggies would say, et voila it worked, obviously the cleaning liquid has run somewhere else.

Here's hoping its a reasonably permanent fix!

• Like 2