New Tyres - help if you can?

ross

I have just had 2 new tyres fitted to the front and rear lhs of the car - both had to be replaced due to what I assume was kerb damage (Kwik Fit also found a nail in one tyre - although I was not aware of it and the kerb damage wasn't enough to warrant replacing that one - cynical, me?) the only reason I went to KF is because it is a company car and the fleet company uses them. I have suspicions over work that "needed" doing that they have discovered on previous cars of mine, but that's another story.....

Anyway, back to the point - I now have two Conti's on the rhs and two Pirellis on the lhs (edited - DOH!). The sales manager assured me they were completely compatible etc etc. I haven't checked out the details of what they are as it is very dark and cold and I had to rush back to work. What I want to know is: are there any potential issues with having a mix like this and if so should I look out for anything?

Cheers

Ross

Interesting question, I dont like having different tyre types on the same axel, so perhaps some wheel switching could be done so that the pirelli's are on the front and conti's on the back. Assuming the tyre is not directional and that you can move one pirelli to the otherside.

Do you mean 2 Contis on the LHS and 2 Pirellis on the RHS or vice versa? The car handbook states that for road safety reasons, do not replace individual tyres, if possible, but at least both tyres on the same axle. The new tyres presumably have more tread than the existing tyres, and that being so they should have been fitted as a pair on the back wheels. They are also a different tread pattern to the existing tyres, and should have been paired for that reason too. Go back to the tyre dealer and get him to swap the wheels around as above.

PS If the tyres are directional, you may need to get them swapped on the rims.

Michelin's advice on new tyres front or rear is here:

http://car.michelin.co.uk/servlet/srt/auto/trucsastuces_uk#ancre4

I believe that view is widely accepted in the tyre industry. KwikFit hasn't done anything illegal as far as I know, but has not followed best practice, or even good practice. Challenge them.

cheers for the replys - I'll drop by kf and get them to switch the tyres round - that is interesting as I would have assumed that it would have been better to put the new ones on the front as they will suffer more wear. Shows what I know......which is why I posted the question in the first place :roll:

as a matter of interest, has anyone else had any experiences of kwik fit where they have "discovered" additional work that needs doing after the car has been taken in? It has happened at least 3 times to me now.........

A friend of mine was at a dinner where Sir Tom Farmer was speaking. All the menus had a

I Used kf a couple of times, never again.

Took my xr3i to them for some new brake discs, and they tried to sell me all sorts of stuff, shocks, steering parts etc.

I now use a local company where I know the branch manager, been using them for years now. He won't sell me anything I dont need, but I think thats because I know him.