Octy 110 Diesel MPG?

I have an Octavia 1.9 TDI (110 BHP version) L&K estate.

Question I have is what sort of MPG can I expect.

On the motorway drivning at just over 70 (cruise on) I get 55mpg, occasionally up to 57 if a tail wind! Is this good/ bad?

My run to work is pretty much the combined cycle with about 2 miles of town, 1 mile of motorway and 2 dual carriage style roads with a few round abouts throun in. I generally get 40-42 mpg for that. I don't really speed or drove hard so is this expected?

I have had the car over 2 years now and it the mpg figues have nopt changed in that time, it's just I read on here cases of 70mpg and wondered how that was happening as there is no way I can get near that!

Paul

Sorry should have been clearer, my drive to work is 5 miles (still not great), made up by all those roads listed above.

I con only achieve mid 50's on very long runs. Is this normal?

Using Esso Diesel at the moment. Any recommendation for anything better?

I was using the supermarket (Tesco) stuff but switched as I figured it was generally cr@p.

Oh, and thanks. Finally getting used to the 'wood' trim ;-)

Yes, that "wood" trim is odd.

BP Ultimate is good fuel but expensive, might be worth trying one tank and seeing if you get the extra economy making it worth the extra 8p a litre.

Yeah mid 50's it normal for normal driving. You aren't going to get 70mpg unless you do serious economy run. Like sitting at 55mph slipstreaming lorrys on the motorway for 4 hours without touching your brakes once....

I get low 50s in my 110 TDi Elegance, but that's a mix of town, B-roads and big bits of motorway. The trip computer usually says very high 50s, but it's lying. That's with plenty of right foot and the A/C on and three of us in the car; it's slightly worse in winter with the lights and wipers on.

The fuel economy stinks when the engine hasn't warmed up - you can tell from the instant read-out. Takes me about 10 minutes to get it up to the 90 mark, but then I don't go much above 2,500rpm until that point.

Before I started carrying colleagues about I got about 56mpg (the trip computer read low 60s). I could get it to an indicated 70mpg on a run if I was really careful (doing a steady 60 mph in motorway traffic).

My old Peugeot 205 1.9D did about 57 mpg, so I'm pretty chuffed with the Octy :)

J

I'm getting mid-50s on a run (usually "about" the speed limit, with the note that there are no Greed Scameras near here), and high 40s commuting (12 miles each way mostly single track) normally running the climate set to 18C, also on a 110 Elegance.

Again I'd say that was good compared with my old Xantia, which did 40 to 45 in the same regimes.

Over the 13000 miles I've done in mine so far, it's averaged 53.5 according to the spreadsheet I keep (sorry, rather anal I know). The computer tends to overestimate each tank by about 4-5mpg, although it depends how many trips I've done on that particular tank. When I've done longer trips (ie London to Scotland and bank - 2 trips) I find it's much more accurate.

My all time record from mine (2000, W slx tdi 110 estate by the way) is an indicated 85.7 average on a journey from twickenham to gatwick airport last month. I was in luck getting on to the A316 from my house, no red lights on the way, sat at 50mph all the way through rush hour down the M3 onto the M25 and then down the M23. Just lucked out that 50mph was pretty much the constant flow of the traffic that morning. Nearly 86 mpg indicated! Crazy!

The highest I ever saw was about 70 but that was a long run at a constant 50mph.

At more normal motorway speeds I would get high 50s/low 60s on a long run and my 27 mile journey home from work would be between 55 and 61mpg.

In town driving i'd get high 40s/low 50s.

Typical average would be 54 mpg on a tank full and occasionally I'd get just over 60 on the whole tank.

These were indicated figures and the real figure was about 4-5% less.

I have a L&K estate and my trip to work is around 18 miles of about 8 town and 10 dual carriage I have ony had the car 3 weeks now but I am getting an avarage of 46 mpg.

I'm running with the Dunlop (I think) tyres that were fitted as standard. I basically did a like for like swap as I didn't mind the handling and couldn't be bothered to experiment.

Can anyone recommend tyres that are good for econoly and grip and at what pressure (I know the recoomended pressure, but what actually works best?).

Paul