Skip to content

Whirring sound from underside of mk2 tfsi

Featured Replies

Hi all so I’ve had my mk 2 vrs for around 4 weeks now and I have got a whirring sound from underneath somewhere whilst driving I have it going into a vag specialist on Wednesday for diagnosis which will cost me £100 up front before any repair work.

The sound comes at all speeds as soon as the car is moving and it is there in gear and when the car free wheels out of gear. The sound doesn’t go away or change at all it just sound louder obviously if I take my foot off the gas.

Weaving side to side it doesn’t change either making me think it may not be a bearing and something more sinister a mechanic that I know said maybe gearbox bearings.

What are people’s thoughts on this and are there any other common faults that the mk 2 has that could cause this.

Any help is appreciated 🙏🏻

aha hope you get help soon

  • 2 weeks later...

Gearbox or differential bearing

  • Author
7 hours ago, BlueWagon said:

Gearbox or differential bearing

It turned out I had severe feathering on the inside edge of both of my rear tyres so I replaced all 4 with Michelin pilot sport 4s and the problem is no more.

If you have severe wear on inside of rear tyres it could be the bushing gone in rear swing arms or rear control arm bushes or the camber/toe setting is way out. As they are new tyres I would get it checked out and perhaps a rear or four wheel alignment done. If its way out it wont take long to wreck the new tyres.

Alasdair

  • Author
31 minutes ago, Alasdair1 said:

If you have severe wear on inside of rear tyres it could be the bushing gone in rear swing arms or rear control arm bushes or the camber/toe setting is way out. As they are new tyres I would get it checked out and perhaps a rear or four wheel alignment done. If its way out it wont take long to wreck the new tyres.

Alasdair

Thank you I’ll go to the garage in the morning and have them checked out I did have the alignment done when they were fit not sure about camber toe adjustment is that something different and would my tyre garage do that?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.