Skip to content

Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI

Featured Replies

I appreciate that the question has been answered time and time again, but so many conflicting answers.

Need to replace the factory-fitted tyres on my January 2021 Octavia Estate 1.5TSI SEL First Edition after a very respectable 51,000 miles.

Do a combination of urban driving, but regularly do 500 mile round trips of motorway driving. Live in the South of England, so we don't really get much snow. Driving style is sensible rather than sporty.

What do people recommend where the priorities, in order, are grip, fuel efficiency, longevity, and noise levels? Mid-range, known tyre brand preferable but open to suggestions.

Contenders seems to be

Michelin Primacy 5 (Longevity looks to be good)

Goodyear Efficient Grip (Not sure which version)

Thanks in advance

Edited by spcdust

  • spcdust changed the title to Best Mid Range Tyres - MK4 Estate 1.5TSI

My 1.5 TSI SEL FE estate came fitted with Michelin Primacy 4 (205/55-17), changed them at 45,000 miles (a tad early because I was heading off fully loaded on a two month European road trip).

Anyway, to answer your question, my go to tyres are now Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. By comparison to the Primacy 4 I feel they are quieter, give a more supple ride, plenty of grip, feel more sure footed under heavy braking, and I reckon about 5-8% better fuel economy. Current set have covered 35,000 miles and I reckon a good 15-20k left (near as damn-it 5mm left).

OK, they probably come in the premium tyre category but I think they're worth it. Just checked my preferred, local-ish, tyre fitter and they're lower price than some tyres in the mid-range brands (Falken, Toyo).

As a slight aside, I also fitted these on my previous Mk2 Superb; similar gains (especially the ride and economy) over the previous Continental PremiumContact on it previously.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

My 1.5 TSI SEL FE estate came fitted with Michelin Primacy 4 (205/55-17), changed them at 45,000 miles (a tad early because I was heading off fully loaded on a two month European road trip).

Anyway, to answer your question, my go to tyres are now Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. By comparison to the Primacy 4 I feel they are quieter, give a more supple ride, plenty of grip, feel more sure footed under heavy braking, and I reckon about 5-8% better fuel economy. Current set have covered 35,000 miles and I reckon a good 15-20k left (near as damn-it 5mm left).

OK, they probably come in the premium tyre category but I think they're worth it. Just checked my preferred, local-ish, tyre fitter and they're lower price than some tyres in the mid-range brands (Falken, Toyo).

As a slight aside, I also fitted these on my previous Mk2 Superb; similar gains (especially the ride and economy) over the previous Continental PremiumContact on it previously.

Thanks @SteveTheElder .

Are those the Performance 2 variant?

  • Author
13 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:


Thanks - trying to work out if the extra £20-£25 per tyre difference for the Performance 2 is worth it, or actually whether the regular Performance tyres that you reference actually have any advantages over the Performance 2. Possibly, the Performance 2 has increased longevity, but it's a minefield, as on the websites you get tyres with the same model name and size but slightly different prices and ratings

42 minutes ago, spcdust said:


Thanks - trying to work out if the extra £20-£25 per tyre difference for the Performance 2 is worth it, or actually whether the regular Performance tyres that you reference actually have any advantages over the Performance 2. Possibly, the Performance 2 has increased longevity, but it's a minefield, as on the websites you get tyres with the same model name and size but slightly different prices and ratings

The guys at TyreReviews appear to agree greater longevity with the EfficientGrip 2...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip-Performance-2.htm

Got GT radial FE2 on mine and excellent in dry and wet. Seem to be lasting well too. When I got them if ordered online through local tyre service got discount £15 off for two and £40 for four. From memory they were around £85 each. Sons got GT all season and again excellent tyre.

Alasdair

I reckon that's a good price for those tyres, good effort.

In due course, please let us know what you think of them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.