Which Octy for towing?

The simple reply would be the more powerful and torquey 2.0 (which we have). But maybe the gentler power delivery of the 1.9 would be better for a caravan? Dunno - ask a caravaner.

Although the 1.9 has a lower torque figure than the 2.0, I thought the 8V engine would be better for towing duties than the more performance orientated 16V 2.0tdi engine.

Although the 1.9 has a lower torque figure than the 2.0, I thought the 8V engine would be better for towing duties than the more performance orientated 16V 2.0tdi engine.

I'd agree actually. The 2.0 wouldn't struggle at all but then again the 1.9 would manage ok too and keeping economy up is a bit of a balancing act in the 2.0 whereas I gather economy doesn't seem to vary as much over the rev range in the 1.9.

I used to tow with a Fabia estate with the 100bhp 1.9 tdi, not quite the same engine as in the Octy but pretty damn close. The caravan was just under the Fabias 1000kg towing limit (so pretty light as they go) and I now tow the same caravan with a 2.0TDi Octavia. I used to think the 1.9 pulled the van very well, no problem maintaining 60 on the motorway uphill or down, fine on A roads no problems with steep hills etc etc. However I have to say the 2.0 TDI is MUCH better. It has far more acceleration with the van on the back and is able to hold speed with much less feeling of effort. In combination with our relatively light van it's even happy with overtaking manoeuvres should the need arise, whereas the 1.9 did not encourage you to try such things. At motorway speeds the 2.0 is happy in 6th gear on all bar the steepest inclines. As for economy they seem to be about the same. While the 1.9 was certainly a bit more frugal whilst solo, it had to be worked that bit harder while towing, the end result being that both do about 35 mpg with a van on the back. The only thing I've noticed about the 1.9 which I preferred was that it was bit more tractable below 1500rpm, whereas the 2.0 seems a bit flat down there. Having said that there's no way you want to be dropping the revs down that low whilst towing so even that is not really an argument in favour of the 1.9.

In short IMHO the 2.0 tdi is vastly better for towing than the 1.9, and tends to feel much quicker and more relaxed

Hi,

Don't forget to consider the car's kerb weight too.

I have an octy 2.0 FSI (Kerb Side Weight = 1500Kg). Torque wise, even for a petrol, this copes really well towing a bailey Ranger 550/6.

If the caravan has it's full payload allowance used up (never likely for us) it is just 2kg within the car's max towing limit, which is 1300KG for the petrol 2.0 FSI, but still ~ 85% weight differential between car and caravan.

Phil

Thanks for the very useful replies. My parents are buying a Lunar Clubman which I could use but would be too heavy for my Fabia.

I'm thinking of changing the Fabia for an Octavia next year, and would most likely go for a 1.9tdi or 2.0fsi as both are similar price. With the possibility of towing a van, I'm more likely to go with a diesel now.

@PJO good to hear that you find the 2.0 petrol successful for towing

I'm thinking of changing the Fabia for an Octavia next year' date=' and would most likely go for a 1.9tdi or 2.0fsi as both are similar price. With the possibility of towing a van, I'm more likely to go with a diesel now.

@PJO good to hear that you find the 2.0 petrol successful for towing[/quote']

I think you will make a good choice with the diesel (having also towed a smaller van with a focus 1.8Tdi).

Also, endorsing what other people are saying really, I think 1.9tdi vs 2.0fsi will mainly boil down to economy. While the 2.0fsi has ample power output to tow (of course I didn't get mine just to tow ;) ) - you can't beat a diesel because of the low down torque it will deliver. Apart from the extra economy you will be guaranteed whilst towing it means you can say reverse the caravan with very little revs; but for the petrol you have to slip the clutch that bit more. I've seen people (well should say smelt) almost burn their clutch out doing the simplest of reverses with a petrol tow car.. Hmm, I'd better be careful!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back last night from Devon, Towing with the Oct'y. 240miles in 4hrs40 no trouble at all Took the A303 which in places is quiet hilly, had no trouble mantaining 50-60+ all the way. all at 35mpg.

As By chance it was good to see Phil (pjo) arrive on the pitch next to us,

As By chance it was good to see Phil (pjo) arrive on the pitch next to us,

Yes, what an amazing coincidence, wonder what the odds would be on pitching up next to a fellow Briskodian??! From 100s of campsites to chose from (and even the site we were on had around 300 pitches...) Yet, Mike and I ended up next to each other! I think the phrase a "small world" does not quite suffice for this one!

I've towed the same 2 berth caravan with -

1) Octavia Estate 1.9TDI (130 BHP)

& 2) New Octavia 4x4 Estate 1.9TDI

The 4x4 "felt" better towing overall, but there was an odd occasion when more aceleration would have been good!