Fabia Help

Woollyfoot

Hi all, my first post but I've been reading these incredibly useful forums for a while now!

The engine management light on my Fabia 1.4 8v has come on several times now for the same fault codes. They are both intermittant faults:

17549 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Implausible Value

16556 - System Too Rich, Bank 1

The car is still under warranty and the garage has had it in for a few days and have tried fixing a few things but only for the faults to reappear a couple of days later.

From reading the Ross-Tech wiki and other post here, I *think* (I am pretty new to the world of cars so i'm very much still learning!) it could be down to either the throttle body being dirty or the injectors needing cleaning.

I'm not sure if it's related but the engine starts perfectly from cold but it sometimes struggles to start when it's already warm. Could all of these be symptoms of a thermostat problem?

Thanks for any help.

Intermitent faults like these are hard to diagnose.

I had a problem with warning lights on an imported Prelude.

The Honda dealer gave me back the car saying they had "Exhausted their testing methods"

I took the car to a friend who is a Bosch agent, who found the fault to be loose wires on the ECU!!!! Was fine after that.

Something to check.

...I'm not sure if it's related but the engine starts perfectly from cold but it sometimes struggles to start when it's already warm. Could all of these be symptoms of a thermostat problem?

Thanks for any help.

Hello. I had that problem too. In my case, it needed a new temp sensor and has been fine since. My local VW garage replaced the sensor at £85 inc VAT.

In fact, my usual Skoda garage a few miles further away identified the problem during servicing and quoted £120. The problem I had was that it would stall and not re-start (not good in a roadway), so didn't think it would get me there, so took it to my nearest garage, i.e. the VW one.

The symptom was having to sit a while (progressively longer) after short term parking, as if the engine was flooded (probably was, as if having to wait for the engine to cool to the temperature that the sensor thought it was, if you see what I mean). The temp gauge not moving was a fair indicator though LOL.

Re the EPC, this covers a multitude of sins (i.e. being an indicator of anything it registers to be faulty). Might be worth checking that the battery is up to par in any case, as this can be drained quickly by the AC etc.

HTH

Mo

The symptom was having to sit a while (progressively longer) after short term parking' date=' as if the engine was flooded (probably was, as if having to wait for the engine to cool to the temperature that the sensor thought it was, if you see what I mean). The temp gauge not moving was a fair indicator though LOL.[/quote']

Thanks for that. My problem is nowhere near as serious, it's the difference between the starter motor having to turn the engine over once or twice before it starts from cold and something like 5 or 6 times from hot.

Temperature sensor sounds possible and so does injectors/throttle body.

To help us out - a bit more info please:- How many miles have you done? What are your typical journeys (speed/traffic)? What fuel do you use? any particular brand or anything goes? When did you last have the car serviced/plugs changed?

17549 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Implausible Value

16556 - System Too Rich' date=' Bank 1

[/quote']

it uses a mixture of different sensors to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. this is usually the sensor on the throttle body, the map sensor, and the collant temperature sensor, it says cross check implausable becuase of of these sensors is giving false readings...