*URGENT* Going to look at a Fabia vRS tomorrow...HELP

joenitro

Hi all,

As subject really, I'm going to look at a yellow Furby vRS tomorrow, 2004, 54 reg, done 14,000 miles.

I did a few searches but couldn't find anything - perhaps there should be a guide on what to look out for when going to view a prospective purchase!!!

Basically, what should I be looking out for apart from the obvious full service history, clutch, seats, paintwork etc. Anything Fabia or vRS specific to check?

I haven't friven a vRS before, so am not quite sure how well they should go, but am expecting a fair bit of 'shove' when I hit the right-hand pedal!

I was quite confident when I arranged the viewing, but I am slightly nervous now:eek: !!

Any help appreciated,

Cheers :thumbup: ,

Joe

A two year old VRS with 14k on the clock should be fine, they are generally solid and unless it has been bent at some point (Explore the usual areas) you shouln't find many things wrong other than what is already mentioned. It should have service history and I would say that this is essential with any car, but with only 14k again it's a low milage vehicle which I would expect to be in top order.

A few points you might want to look for if you are unsure about the car;

Look for slipping clutch and vibration under accceleration (If you find this then that's usually a sign of a heavy remap at some point) Check the tyre wear, if the car is not on it's originals at 14k then I would want to know why.

I would just enjoy your test drive!

the most common thing i've experienced on the polo's (which are basically the same) is the anti roll bar bushes knocking... when you tesdt drive it, reverse it round a corner on full lock both ways. and if the arb bushes are worn there will be a knock when you brake

Cheers Decron and TeflonTom!

I was thinking about the tyres, yeah. I don't suppose there was one particular brand that Skoda normally fitted was there? I'll ask the seller anyway.

Good point about the ARB bushes too. I currently have a 1999 Golf GT TDI and that had the same problem!!

Actually, thinking about it, it has had a superchips remap and it has a pretty bad vibration under load at low revs :-D

Anyone else got anything to ad?

I'm leaving in about 2 hours, so COME ON PEOPLE!!

Joe

oh yeah..... make sure that the aircon works too.. if it doesn't work dont worry too much but it would be a good way of batting the price down..... i know this sounds silly on a car with only 14k on it but it is possible....

Gear lever may rattle in neutral (there was an amended part produced, but it may not have been fitted).

Rear brakes often graunch in reverse. Again, there was an "anti-mooing kit" but it may not have been fitted.

14K miles for a '54 isn't very much at all. Check that it has had the correct number of annual services.

A vRS takes a long time to warm up, so you can't really judge its performance until after 10 miles or so.

HTH.

also check for evidence that that wings or door have been removed for any reason(might have had minor accidents etc) you can check this by when you open the front doors have a look at the bolts on the door hinge pins. they are painted and when you undo them it chips the paint off.... the same with the front wings, when you open the doors you can see the bolts that hold the trailing edge of the wing to the chassis.. have a look for any evidence of removal....

also ask the seller if it has been modified because you will have to notify your insurance company of this

A vRS takes a long time to warm up, so you can't really judge its performance until after 10 miles or so.

also make sure that you start the car and see it running from stone cold. as this can be a good indicator of any head gasket problems.... look for steam coming from the exhaust (white smoke)....

i know this sound silly on a 14k car but anything is possible if the car has been thrashed!!

WOW, people, thanks for the barrage of replies!!

I guess you lot aren't doing much 'actual work' on a Monday morning :-D

Good point about the door pins etc, probably wouldn't have thought of that!

Car is in Amesbury, Wiltshire. I have been emailing the seller over the past couple of days and everything up to now seems 'right' if you know what I mean?!!

He has answered all enquiries fully and properly and 'seems' genuine.

I think he's in his mid forties and is selling the car to fund a house purchase... possibly fishy?

This is the main text of the advert:

This is a 2004/54 Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9 TDI PD 130 BHP Diesel Sports Hatchback in Lemon Yellow. It is in excellent condition throughout with only 14,250 miles from new. It has had 1 previous female owner prior to myself. When I bought it in November 2005,from a Skoda Dealership, it had 4,572 miles from new. It is Taxed until 30th April 2007, it does not require an MOT until 11th September 2007, it has a Full Service History and it has the remainder of the Manufacturers Warranty (3 years/60,000 miles) & Skoda Assist (AA Roadside Assistance, Relay, Relay Plus, Home Start & European Cover) untill 11th September 2007. It is registered with the International Security Register (ISR) which is transferable to the new owner for a fee of

As the car is under warranty, I wouldn't be too concerned over minor faults tbh. I would however be looking at how well looked after it is. Has it been serviced often enough - should have had 2 services I think, or certainly be approaching the next one. Is the oil level topped up? Do all the tyres match? If its had a pair of replacements, are they a decent brand, and W rated? If there is only one replaced it could be the sign of a stingy owner. If they are all original tyres, its likely the fronts will need replacing soon - could be a good haggling point.

Is there a million stone chips on the bonnet - possibly a sign of a car driven hard. Check the seats are immaculate, and the vRS mats are fitted.

Most importantly, check the car is standard. Give it a good blast, pop it in 5th at 40, and boot it til 70. If the revs rise before the car gets any faster, then you will be looking at a replacement clutch - not necessarily a warranty job, and you'll be looking at a bill of over £500.

Check the windscreen, headlights and foglights for chips/cracks. All good bargaining points.

Overall, you can't really go wrong. Just like buying any other car really, just check for accident damage, abuse and make sure its been well looked after. I always do this and having bought over 15 cars now I'm yet to get a lemon :thumbup:

Forgot to say - definitely do a HPI check too - its a lot of money to gamble - dont take the sellers word for it.

Does seem like a genuine car. Good luck with it