Sky+ in another room - Dual Coax

Forbez

Hi guys, i wonder if someone can help me, if recently had Sky+ installed in the house, and it has a dual coax cable from the sky dish to the sky box, which i've been told is due to HD tv, and the dual coax being needed.

But what im wondering is, im looking to get the sky+ run up to the bedroom upstairs, but im unsure whether i'd have to use the dual coax cable aswell, although i doubt it.

I'd be getting a Sky eye / magic eye / sky bug, and remote so that i could control it from upstairs aswell.

If anyone can help, i'd appreciate it.

Cheers Tom

the dual co-ax's are there because the sky+ box is basically two decoders in one box, this is how you can record one program whilst watching another. the LNB on the dish can only recieve one channel at a time not all of them like a normal tv aerial does.

to have sky+ in another room would require a new pair of co-ax cables from that room to the dish and a 4-way LNB fitted. if you just want to watch sky upstairs then you use one of those magic eye things but you will have to watch the same channel both upstairs and down. if you get a magic eye with a sky+ remote you will also be able to watch the recorded programs and have full use of other sky+ features upstairs but again both TV's will display the same thing at the same time.

i know my dad runs 2 boxes off the one dish (sky+ and normal), but he has a bigger dish than standard with an LMB (the bit on the dish) with more connections , if you not having HD upstairs i wouldn't think you would need the dual cable , but i'm no expert on this though, i'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows more

forgot to say, if you just want to control the box down stairs from upstairs then you will only need the one co-ax as all the decoding is done in the box and you pick up the output of the sky+ box for the remote eye thingy :)

me and my dad sorted this out at his house and works a treat, excellent for annoying mum by pausing her programs from upstairs :P

Yeah thought so, thats what i had at home. TBH, i dont really want one of those transmitters for the signal, i understand its easier, but i'd rather run the cable in, and get it done with, then there's less to go wrong. And also, less clutter around the house, plus both TV's are right by the front wall, so it'll be run back out of the same hole as the other comes in through, then outside to the room above, and back through the wall.

Easier in the long run i'd say.