Colour Matching Sidelights with Xenons

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Got LED's in mine and they look good. Got to fit load resistors though to stop the bulb warning light coming on and switching the sidelights off.

What size load resistors though? Most led units come with internal diode / resistor combos. How did you physically fit them? (theres not much room in there!)

the reason LED's kick off the bulb failure is they dont draw current as much as conventional bulbs thus using less amps of which the bulb failure system works by. but im sure you can buy a resistor that will add the current to stop the bulb failure kicking off, but im guessing it wont then tell you if the led bulb actually goes.

Surely the bulb failure system works by detecting infinate resistance? i.e. a failed bulb. so not sure why a extra load resistor actually fixes this. The question remains though. What size resistor to draw the extra current and how physically do you fit it?

Rgs

Chris

you need a pair of these: Clicky

I scotch locked the wires to the existing side light wires in the fitting and routed the cables through one of the rubber vent plugs, it's quite fiddly but I had no problems with condensation and haven't compromised the seals on the fitting either.

I fitted the resistors to the small vertical metal sections that run up each side of the radiator near each light fitting. I also used some heat transfer paste to make it more efficient as i didn't remove any paint for obvious reasons.

you need a pair of these: Clicky

I scotch locked the wires to the existing side light wires in the fitting and routed the cables through one of the rubber vent plugs, it's quite fiddly but I had no problems with condensation and haven't compromised the seals on the fitting either.

I fitted the resistors to the small vertical metal sections that run up each side of the radiator near each light fitting. I also used some heat transfer paste to make it more efficient as i didn't remove any paint for obvious reasons.

Yes, similar to ones autobulbs do. I feel though, out there somewhere there should be a more elegant solution. Not that I have found it!

The more complicated cars get the more you have to faff with them to make things like this work. I fully expect my next car to have a light or irritating US style 'bong' noise to inform me i haven't wiped my **** correctly.

Ho Hum.

Chris