Ibiza Cupra/Fabia vRS gear ratios??

Jamesemt

Hi guys, ever since buying my Ibiza Cupra TDI 160, I've been wondering why the wife's Fabia feels MUCH more responsive low down. The slightly larger turbo and front mount can't make THAT much difference, surely.

In the Fabia, 1400 rpm is the equivalent to 1800rpm in the Ibiza. Even though I am running 70bhp more in the Ibiza, low down the Fabia feels so much quicker, responsive and generally nicer to drive. Even with the remap on the Cupra.

Does anyone know which gear ratios are in which? To complicate matters, my mate has a Fabia vRS with gear ratios which are similar to the Ibiza...

The Ibiza is an old shape on an 06 plate - it doesn't have a silver bottom edge to the steering wheel or stereo buttons on it.

The Fabia has the updated rear light clusters and is on a 54 plate...

The way I feel at the moment, I'm very tempted to stick a couple of

yes the gearing can have a huge effect on the way a car responds, but it could also be put down to a few other things too..

different valve timing perhaps??

dont the pd160 engines have a lower compression ratio than the pd130??

Earlier Fabia vRS have longer 4th, 5th and 6th than the current ones. I think the current ones are doing about 2000rpm at 60mph in 6th? The older ones do about 1500rpm at 60mph in 6th. If your Cupra has the longer ratios this will make a big difference if suddenly hitting the loud pedal.

Also I think the Cupra 160 has a bigger turbo so it will take longer to spool up.

Yep I agree with everything that's been said, but the turbo is virtually identical - the part numbers are something like A - B apart.

Thing is, I'm not talking about full throttle blasting about - pulling off the drive and trying to get the car up to 20mph involves a lot more revving - it feels more like a petrol!!

lol don't even go there!!!!

The map was a custom job by Bell Autos in York. Pete did a great job, but the problem is that running any more low down torque causes DMF problems - it grumbles like hell at low revs in 4th, 5th and 6th...I had four map tweaks to get to this stage!!!

I have an ibiza cupra 54 plate myself and the girlfriend has a Fabia vrs 06 plate.

I kind of see what your saying but it doesnt bother me much, when all is said and done the Cupra still shows it who is boss!

By the way both are remapped, and pete is a top guy and i wouldnt for one minute say its his software causing the apparent problem