Octy II VRS USER COUNT: PLEASE READ

Hi,

If you own an Octy II VRS please don't reply just yet.

I need to know who'd want a LSD (Limited Slip Diff) retro-fitted to their car by V.A.G or recommended 3rd party?

Why? A friend of mine own a FIAt Coupe Turbo, tuned to 290 or so BHP and the power goes down! It just does, on the front wheels...

Why is it that VAG couldn't get it right then?

Please let me know and we might try to bargain in that direction?

Many Thanks

Alex

Hi,

If you own an Octy II VRS please don't reply just yet.

I need to know who'd want a LSD (Limited Slip Diff) retro-fitted to their car by V.A.G or recommended 3rd party?

Why? A friend of mine own a FIAt Coupe Turbo, tuned to 290 or so BHP and the power goes down! It just does, on the front wheels...

Why is it that VAG couldn't get it right then?

Please let me know and we might try to bargain in that direction?

Many Thanks

Alex

:confused:

You can't get the power down? In your Mk2 Octy?

replies are good. No, incredibly hard to get any power down, especially on the wet...

Mate, where do you live? sweden? north pole? what are you taking?

My Octavia runs 280 bhp, with no traction issues.

Tyres - simple.

Agreed, I can have mine let go under acceleration in 3rd with the conti's.

Ordered some Toyo's from my local tyre place and good riddance to the conti's, even hard acceleration in the dry in second will have the esp light throwing a wobbly.

johnjohn, How is the chassis design anything to do with wheel spinning in the wet ?

The engine is mounted almost directly above the wheels - what else do you want?

The tyres are the problem here - unless you can suggest a convincing reason why the chassis is to blame.

My 350Z had an amazing chassis but it still spun the wheels in the wet.

I Dont know why because I'm not an engineer, but you dont need to be an engineer to deduct that your wheels are spinning, and i'm not talking about spinning in the wet, i'm talking dry conditions.

I do know that I drive lots of different cars and Skoda's are always the worst at putting the power down onto the road, while good tyres will obviously make some difference the issues that still remain can only be attributed to the chassis.

If I knew more about suspension components perhaps I could come up with a technical reason but alas I dont, The Vauxhall Astra also suffers the same problem again I dont know why.

Octy 2 does not, in my experience, have any more issues than any other FWD motor at getting power down. IOW once going, in the dry, standard suspension, original fit tyres, you can floor it and it will go. Perhaps a viscious shift from 1st to 2nd might get a bit of a chirp, but that's about it.

I've driven many different Skodas with many different tyres and they all have the same problem, a poor chassis set up

The A5 platform is renowned as being a quality item, tho, is it not? And what Skoda do with it gets the thumbs up in general from the motoring press?

In a vRS, I think only a hooligan driving style will give traction problems - and you'd get that in any 200hp+ FWD car.

Ok, I'll add to the tyres explanation. Driving style!

It's as simple as that i'm afraid. Tyres provide grip. If they don't provide enough grip, change them for ones that do.

Driving style. The throttle is variable i have found, not an on/off switch.

Ok, i'm being an ****, but niether my xxx bhp fabia, nor my xxx bhp Octavia 2 give me cause for concern, and believe me, I'm not yer gran ;)

My mates 300bhp has traction issues, but thats down to the fact it has a turbo the size of my head, and spins up all at once.

It's as simple as that i'm afraid. Tyres provide grip. If they don't provide enough grip, change them for ones that do.

I'm sorry but it isn't as simple as that.

If it were, then every car with the same tyres fitted (assuming the car has enough power to break traction with those tyres) would accelerate (initialy) at exactly the same speed.

There are many different factors, such as LSD's, suspension spring/damper rates, design of suspension components etc etc that affect how well a car puts it power down, it's stupid to say that the only factor is tyres.

Every car I've ever driven, and there are quite a few of them, have all broken traction at some stage or other, even automatics and 4WD.

The laws of physics mean that you can never put as much power down as you would like.

Yes, Traction Control systems and LSD's can improve things, but in normal driving, shouldnt make a whole load of difference. I agree that tyre choice can be an important one, but its always a tradeoff between grip and mileage.

Chassis configuration in Front Engined, Front Wheel drive cars has very little to do with traction loss moving off, much more important with mid corner traction. Which is where an LSD comes into its own too.