Skoda Superb 1.9tdi 130 automatic any good?

HI guys newbie needs help .I`m considering buying a superb diesel auto with 64,000 miles I`m a cabbie and do about 35,000 miles a year .As you can imagine it`s gonna take a bit of stick ,however I allways look after my cars .Do you guys think this car is up for it does anybody no the mpg figures for this car ,and please can you tell me any known problems i would be likely to come across .All information would be appreciated .Thanks

Don't know about the auto box....but the engine is only just run in at that mileage ......you will like the space and comfort and the size of the boot....but be warned it is a long car and needs a whole space to park in....

Average mpg on mine is around 39 ...but that is a lot of short (1 mile or less) trips

No mines a manual box so can't really give an opinion .....but the engine and car are sound ....just find a decent dealer/garage for servicing and it will be OK

Someone on here had Superbs for taxi use and didn't get on with them.........if I find the thread I will put it up

Just found it

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/superb/anyone-here-taxi-superb/18541/?highlight=Superbs+taxi

Mine is the manual not the auto but I regularly get approaching 40mpg just running around. A long trip is in its 50s. The boot is a fair old size but the opening is a bit awkward with regard to access. The back doors are huge which is brilliant for access and also stops people kicking the back of your seat when getting in and out but leave plenty of space when you have drunks falling out of your car or they will hit everything in sight with the door! I understand the hazard light switch is a bit niggly and although it's nothing major, I'm pretty sure someone on here had a smoking dashboard as a result. They have a new part now so that might be worth replacing. Someone should be along shortly to tell you about some drain or other that can get full of leaves and drown your ecu so you have to check that. I've had mine for just over a year and it's a fantastic car all round, the only thing it lacks is a bit of character but seeing as it is a workhorse in your case I can't see that being a problem. I've got a suspicion that when you put it against any other contenders in the same price bracket it will pretty much leave them all for dead and that engine is good for space ship mileages apparently - at least I hope it is.

I got rid of mine due to stupendous un-reliabilty.

Most of them are fine though, I think I had a bad one.

I wouldn't recommend an auto though, in the real world you'll be looking at 5/7mpg less than the manual (mine was manual, did 45mpg all day with tuning box fitted), and the auto doesn't like the big heavy car around it, it cant decide what gear it should be in and makes un-necessary changes.

Dont expect to get much in the boot either, zimmer frames wont go in, alot of these new pushchairs with big wheels (the ones that look like downsyndrome wheelchairs) wont go in either, suitcases are a nightmare as the boot isn't deep enough to stack them, and when putting peoples shopping in, expect to get dirty legs as they rub against the bumper when reaching into the depths of the boot.

Personally I'd never have another one as a cab (or for any reason) but I can understand why people do, the interior space in the back is big, but expect fat people to sit on the handbrake and get there knees in the way of the gearstick, the seats are narrow which gives the impression of it being wider than it actually is! the interior design with regards to the handbrake/gearstick is very poor.

With the dragon digital, I get around 48mpg which is a 10 mile trip to work every night. On the way to scotland I did manage to get 60mpg with the box set to economy mode. Mines a manual and a fantastic car. I have just clocked 55k miles and had the cam belt done. All I would say is to check the belt has been done (should be done at 60k miles) and change the oil reguraly.

Enjoy

Hi guys thanks for all your posts .However I am starting to be put of buying this vechicle I have been offered.I was rally looking forward to the automatic gearbox it would make my day so much easier ,I was prepared to pay a little bit more for the fuel to have the comfort of the auto.Also I have read that cv boots are very common :mad: can anybody reccomend any other really good auto diesels salloon car I thought with the superb being part of the vw group it would have been durable.I have just read on anothe forum from a guy who was cabbing his auto superb that he had to change his auto box on 48,000 miles lucky for him it was under warranty ,as I am buying this privately I would have to foot this bill myself Mega bucks I would think.Thanks:(

Mine's a 1.9 diesel auto and so far so good - I've had no problems (20,000 miles).

I've no issues with the gearbox or its choice of gear. The only thing that slightly annoys, and it's more a diesel thing than this car, is the slight turbo lag, especially when cold - you mash your right foot to the floor and nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then Voom! All the power comes at once.

But this is only really significant for the first couple of minutes of running.

All the good things are still good - loads of room, nice to drive, very comfortable, heated seats are great, quiet on the motorway.

Rgds,

Rob

Mine's a 1.9 diesel auto and so far so good - I've had no problems (20,000 miles).

I've no issues with the gearbox or its choice of gear. The only thing that slightly annoys, and it's more a diesel thing than this car, is the slight turbo lag, especially when cold - you mash your right foot to the floor and nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then Voom! All the power comes at once.

But this is only really significant for the first couple of minutes of running.

All the good things are still good - loads of room, nice to drive, very comfortable, heated seats are great, quiet on the motorway.

Rgds,

Rob

RobS, I know what you mean about the delay. Is it partly down to the auto box though? Must admit, I haven't driven a manual version to know if that is any better in that regard.

Delta 1646: To be fair, at that mileage, the worst stuff has already been sorted hopefully. Mine needed new discs and pads all round, and CV boots at 40k, so that one is already past that. (Apparently the auto might be harder on the brakes, hence the new discs etc)

I echo what has been said about the slight loss in economy over the manual. As with RobS, I haven't had the issue of gear choice that some are talking about.

Keep us up to date with what you decide.

All the Best

Chris