Oil!!!

Having read a couple of posts about TFSI being thirsty on the oil front, thought I'd better check mine.

Now, I'm usually a pretty mechanically sympathetic guy, always warm up car nice and let it have a cool down. I will check tyres / oil / coolant / washer fluid etc before any significant journey - not as often as recommended but more than many bother with (present company probably excepted). Other than the occassional tyre pressure adjustment, everything has always been hunky dory. But my significant journeys have been pretty much non-existent recently. Washer fluid, tyres checked from time to time, but the always OK oil checks have slipped. So with "only" 5K miles on the clock I've popped the bonnet and found I'm in the "top up immediately" zone. That was a hell of a fright. In the last 12-or-so years of driving cars from new, I've never had to top up oil between services. In fact, I don't remember that I've ever had to do it. Ever.

Moral? Don't get blase with your regular mantenance checks. And listen to people on Briskoda.

Dunce cap for Davison...

Its shocking how much oil all new turbocharged engines seem to use... If you are on variable you could use 4 litres before the first service - £60 on oil top ups... :gasp:

My TDCI Focus hasn't used a drop, not one drop over 7k miles though! :D

My MK1 vRS never drank any, and my 90bhp 1.9 TDI Seat Vario didn't either - and I'd thought TDs were the ones to watch for oil consumption.

Like I said, this is the first car I've had that's used any - hence my misplaced complacency. It's also the first time I've had a car with "variable servicing", so wonder if that has any impact...? Appears to be within spec so reliability-wise I'm not concerned, but it's another hit on the wallet I could've done without. That Helix Ultra VX isn't exactly bargain basement stuff.

None of my turbocharged cars has ever drunk a drop between services :P:rofl:

Chris

Not even your PD engined Fabia which is DESIGNED to use a little oil? :rolleyes:

I have just bought my 3rd 4 litre can of Castrol 'Edge' (at £43 incidently :eek: ) along with about half a dozen 1 litre ones (at £14), thererfore it has cost me a total of over two hundred quid in ten months of ownership and I'm guessing that my car is consuming the stuff at the alarming rate of over a litre a month!!.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How many miles per month would you say that is? That is slightly worrying! :eek:

I have done ridiculous mileage this year, 24,500 miles since March (when I got the car) but like you say it is still quite a lot of oil to be getting through.

I may have slightly exagerated the figures as I forgot that I did use 4.5 litres in the first service :o