Been offered a Favorit GLXie estate FOC - Possibility of free spare parts...

anewman

Hi guys,

New to the forum after searching for stuff related to Skodas.

I have been offered a free Skoda Favorit GLXie Estate 1.3 1994 with well over 100,000 miles on the clock, from my gf's dad. He was going to get it scrapped. It will be my first car (if I accept it) as just passed driving test. My GF used to drive it until she got another car.

He also has in his driveway another of the same model which as I understand it has not been used for a number of years. It is the same car and is intended to be scrapped. Is there likely to be any parts worth salvaging from this car that may keep the running one on the road longer and how easy are they to remove?

Problems I know of include leaky sunroof, engine not starting (but my uneducated guess is that's a combination of recent weather and being left standing), but the main problem of concern is the headlights. If I remember correctly often the driver's side headlights are either dim or not working properly. It's a case of the bulbs are definitely working and a mechanic has looked and found no fault, but the problem still randomly occurs and it seems noone has provided a solution for it. Generally the problem either cures itself after driving for a distance, or sometimes after turning off the ignition and starting up again.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice or suggestions :)

• 2 weeks later...