(Another) VRs Query

Hope to pick up my new TFSI estate in the next couple of weeks :thumbup: and have a couple of queries:

1) In the good ole days, after a hard run, petrol turbo engines had to be allowed to idle for a few minutes before turning off (something to do with oil in the turbo bearings?) al la Renault 5 Turbo - is this true of the TFSI engine?

2) Will I get a seven foot by one foot long door in the boot without it sticking out the back?

Cheers

R

Don't know if its the same as the Elegance but this comes with an centre arm rest/ski flap in the rear seats.

The door would fit through there anyway and into the rear seat area - providing the one foot dimension is correct.

New or Old, petrol OR diesel I would let ANY turbo'd engine 'cool off' before switching off.

If you have been pottering around town or so, then get home, it'll be ok to switch off straight away BUT if you pull into an M-way services having been blatting along at ***mph or have been on a B-road thrash, then I'd let the engine tick-over for a couple of minutes before switching off.

New or Old, petrol OR diesel I would let ANY turbo'd engine 'cool off' before switching off.

If you have been pottering around town or so, then get home, it'll be ok to switch off straight away BUT if you pull into an M-way services having been blatting along at ***mph or have been on a B-road thrash, then I'd let the engine tick-over for a couple of minutes before switching off.

I concurr.

And I had an R5 Turbo back in the day, too... :)

I always drive miss daisy when I get close to the end of my journeys.

I concurr.

And I had an R5 Turbo back in the day, too... :)

I always drive miss daisy when I get close to the end of my journeys.

how long/far do you need to do this for? I have heard about this before but never conciously done it...

I dunno, really. I had it explained to me years ago about not ragging it then switching right off with a super-heated turbo. Generally I'll drive the last couple or three mins nice and gentle, regardless of how "enthusiastic" I've been. If I've been playing the hooligan (rare) then I'll additionally let it tick over for another minute or so. If I've just been on the commute trudge it'll be maybe 5 secs if that.

I figure I'm probably being way over cautious, tbh. These cars will be engineered not to expect to be treated with kid gloves.

In contrast, I used to rag the a$$ off my PD130 and used to turn the engine off straight away, turbo was still good when the car went back @ 110,000 miles.

I'm a bit more careful with the PD140 for some reason, I let it cool off after a burn down the bypass.

In contrast, I used to rag the a$$ off my PD130 and used to turn the engine off straight away, turbo was still good when the car went back @ 110,000 miles.

I'm a bit more careful with the PD140 for some reason, I let it cool off after a burn down the bypass.

Like I said...

I figure I'm probably being way over cautious, tbh. These cars will be engineered not to expect to be treated with kid gloves.

I'm sure in the operational life of most cars, not warming them up and cooling down will only affect people 3 or 4 hands down the ownership chain. And even then there'll be so much other stuff wrong who cares? The last 3 new cars I've bought were intended to be run into the ground (damn those showrooms and that new car smell), so I like to treat them sympathetically.