Oil in the footwell!

My last question covered the perennial problem of water ingress into the front footwell. That still occurs despite gallons of silicon sealant.

Now, I have a problem with oil getting into the drivers side footwell!

Yep, you read it correctly, the Felicia now suffers from oil ingress. A quick visual check indicates that the oil is travelling up the steering column, then trickles down the outside and into the footwell. Has anyone else experienced this interesting phenomenon? If you have, was there a cure?

The car is in for a service today at the Kendal VW centre. I will let you know how it gets on.

I would think its gearbox oil.

What happens is the gearbox pressurises, oil is forced up the speedo cable and actually fills up the back of the speedo, drips down the dash, column and then onto the floor.

Id check the gearbox breather and that the oil hasnt been overfilled.

Well done Skoda peeps; it was gearbox oil that was pressurised because the gearbox breather was clogged with crud. As stated, it escaped via the speedo cable and dribbled down the steering column onto the trainers worn by my fashion victim daughter, who first noticed it was oil when her pumps were satched in it. The breather hole was poked clear and normal oil pressure was restored. Perhaps the oil escapade was an emotional response to the water problems that persist, a bit like white blood cells attacking bacteria.

you had this prob? my speedo makes a right old racket. how do i sort this???:confused:

first felicia, was cured by the garage under warranty, new cable!.... trashed dashboard and broken windscreen.. (they really got hammered for that trust me)

second felica never seemed to make the ruddy noise until very cold

third felica is a diesel and has never made and noise

fourth felicia ticks like a clock at all speeds, the faster you go the louder it gets. I just turn the radio up

you had this prob? my speedo makes a right old racket. how do i sort this???:confused:

Simple, find the gearbox breather, block it up with blu-tack and go for a long drive. The gearbox oil will work its way up the speedo cable and lubricate it all very nicely. But, don't forget to unblock the breather hole before you get a boot full of oil QED :)