Windscreen washer jets - fob off from dealer

I have just taken my 55 1.9 in to my local dealer to have a number of faults looked at - one of them being that the NS windscreen jet has stopped spraying in a dispersed fan shape and just squirts a single jet. Apart from giving me terrible ccustomer service and having an attitude problem, they told me that as I had not used Skoda washer fluid, they would have to charge me. Told me that only the Skoda fluis should be used and that they will have a look at it and will have to charge me for any repair! I dont remember reading in the handbook that only Skoda fluid must be used! soundl like a lie to me. I always use a branded fluid - and how come only one jet has a fault if its due to the fluid? Sparshatts in Fareham is the offending dealer. Moreover, there is a long list of faults they need to look at (they have had the list for several weeks, they then told me today the courtesy car was only available for one day! Terrible, terrible service.

By the sounds of it the jet is blocked with a piece of foreign material, either try and blow it out, or if you need a replacement (providing they are not heated) then they are something like £3 for a pair, if i remember correctly.

As for using recommended fluids, oil and radiator fluid maybe, but washer fluid? NEVER!

... but the point is - does it say in the user manual that only Skoda / VAG fluid should be used and that use of non Skoda / Vag fluid invalidates the waranty. If it does not, I want my issue resolved under waranty.

Dont know what the guys name was - but whoever he was he was as nice as pie and helpful. My issue is with the woman on the customer service desk who has an attitude. In terms of the use of non Skoda fluid - this has no bearing on the waranty and you do not need to use it to maintain waranty as in the owners manusl it says"Clear water is not sufficient to intensively clean the windscreen and headlights. We therefore recomend using clean washing water together with the screen cleaner from Skods genuine accessories (in winter additionally with antifreeze) which is capable of removing stubborn dirt. If my issue had been about having a dirty windcreen and I had not been using any fluid - they may have had a point! Nowhere does it say that you should not use any other fluid as it blocks the nozzle. My issue was not caused by freezing either.

I have a whole set of issues with some things sparshatts do myself, however they are right on this one.

Try an old toothbrush and some lemon juice and give it a rubbing over which often dislodges some of the crud. If that doesn't work I found lemon juice poured over the jet so that some goes in and leave it for 10 minutes can do the trick.

The normal screen wash contains chemicals which will leave solid deposits when turned into an effective vapour cloud by the fan jet.

If they are not heated and are only £3 each, then I'd just change them and change over to the Skoda screen wash.

I take it you've met Mike then

He is an interesting chap.

Unbelievable. A dealer will make an enemy over a windscreen washer jet? I found a trivial but much more expensive part on my Superb to be damaged after I bought it second hand. After a few exchanges with the supplying dealer, a new one was made available from my local dealer for me to fit. Result - satisfied customer.

Are some of these dealers complete idiots? By the way, my Superb still sprays like a tom cat, filled up with the cheapest Wickes screenwasher fluid I could find - doesn't smell very nice though.

rotodiesel.

I agree with you Chris it is not entirely clear and as you say the manual appears to merely give a recomendation not a requirement.

I think you'll have to phone Skoda CS and appeal to their better nature whilst stating your case. FWIW I do agree with you.

I showed you the TSB, not because I thought yours had frozen but simply to highlight their stance with regard to washer fluid. I actually do use the proper stuff and really like it, it's not expensive at all.

I put in a complaint to Skoda UK cust services the moment I got home from dropping off the car. They were very helpful. Oddly enough, I got a very polite call from the mechanic a few hours later. No mention of charging me for the replacement jet!

There are a few faults/ problems with the car.

1) Smell of fumes when heater up high.

2) Drivers seatbelt a bit slack.

3) Vibration from the centre console

At least there is some resolution there then.

As far as sales is concerned I have nothing but praise for Sparshatts of Fareham, In terms of servicing I have and will continue to use Chichester.

Steve at Sparshatts is a great bloke but he is up against it with the negative attitude of the desk staff.

Chris and Ben at Chichester couldn't be more helpful, Michelle who runs the service desk is nice to deal with as well.

I will use Chi in future. I get my car serviced at Bognor Motors where I purchased it. They are polite, cheap and will do anything to help. Best thing Skoda can do is do a bit of "Mystery shopping" - where they get a market research company to pose as customers... I could sort out most of their problems with a few P45s and a couple of newspaper ads for customer service desk staff. Put it this way - when I decided to buy a new car, I went down the Eastern Road in Portsmouth to look at the Mercs, VWs, Audis and BMWs. BMW served me but didnt want to spend

Sounds pretty good to me after all. I have still...two broken ashtrays that have not been repaired since I reported it 6 months ago. My seat belt is slack too, cant see that being done, not now

Think you done well really , all be it annoying