Window Drop ....

Last week I had the drivers window drop into the door whilst I was 50 miles from home, damn windy drive home down the motorway I can tell you ! :rolleyes:

Anyway, this was not on the Furby but on my Golf Mk4. :D

I see from a search on here that this is a common problem on many VAG vehicles (the plastic window clips break) including on the Fabia. :(

So, what a joy..... I can look forward to potentially having to do another seven windows between our two cars ! :mad:

Whilst it's not a particularly difficult job to repair it can be a bit time consuming and the thought of perhaps having to do another seven at some point or having more windows drop (leaving the car insecure) at inconvenient times doesn't exactly fill me with excitement ! :rolleyes:

So, I managed to get a new regulator & improved metal clips for my Golf on ebay HERE and repair the Golf but what I'd like to know is does anyone know if there are similar improved metal window clips available for the Fabia ? :confused:

Just looking ahead to the day the inevitable happens !:rolleyes:

Thanks Lummox, that's good to know but the only option is to fit more plastic clips then ?

Oh dear !:rolleyes:

As it turned out the regulator on the Golf was a bit of a "birds nest" with cable probably due to the one touch feature as I certainly didn't try and operate it once it dropped & the new regulator came in handy ! :thumbup:

If your trying to fix it yourself, have fun, the stupid design of the mech is mucho fun

Done it Stu & yeah not a lot of fun ! :)

On the Fabia the clips arent available seperately so you need to replace the whole regulator.

Lummox, when you say the "whole regulator" what exactly does that consist of ?

This: ec_2.JPG or all this: d9d3_2.JPG

Karma - it will get you in the end.

"Instantly" even ! :rofl:

But then you may probably not be old enough to remember that. ;)

The regulator complete comes as the picture on the right.

Ok, thanks very much for clarifying that. :)

If the kit on the left a Skoda item? Never seen a Skoda kit before.

No, it's a Golf kit.

I know this is a common failing on the MkIV Golf, but I've not seen anyone on here mentioning it. How common is it for Fabia windows to drop due to failure of the clips on the regulator?

• 3 weeks later...

This has just occurred to my girlfriend's Fabia. The window was stuck in the down position and wouldn't come up even when pulling it. I took as much as I could out of the door but because the regulator was in the down position the vertical struts are sitting below the level of the panel. No matter which way I tried I couldn't get the damn thing out of the door. I did manage to undo one of the bolts that holds the window in place so we could get the glass up. Now I've got to do the repair and could do with some advice.

How much is a new regulator?

How can I get the old one out?

Any links showing pics?

Cheers

There's a couple on ebay HERE.

I've not done one on a Fabia but I shouldn't imagine it would be too big a job.:)

Good luck ! :thumbup:

So would these kits for the MK4 Golf fit a Octi?

As Skoda dont list any kits but its based on the MK4 Golf & the complete regulator part number is the same except for the model number (1U0, 1J4)