Advice on K&N cleaning

GPW

The time has come for me to clean my K&N panel filter. I have read a number of threads and seem info that the filter oil can damage the air mass meter.

The advice I am looking for is

1: has any one had a problem caused by oiling their filters?

2: how can any problems be avoided?

3: should I get a different type of filter? if so which one?

thanks

No problem at all. The problem with the Maf is caused by the people not knowing how to oil there K&N properly. Admittedly, they send them out from factory over oiled, but always check before putting it in, and dabbing off any excess oil with a lint free cloth. E.g. Hospital Bedsheet :D

Oil it/spray it, and any 'runs' dab off and .. dab the hole filter once more.

I know that the K&N airfilter isn't too popular in the UK, but worldwide the K&N one is the best known and most widely used. Over-oiling any filter could contaminate the MAF.

One question to keep in mind is this: is if it's common to kill MAF's with a K&N how would the company survive in the litiginous environment of the USA?

Also, desert racers in the US and Middle East routinely use K&N - it's arguably the best.

Follow the steps on the specific oil can carefully and there's no problem. Make sure the filter is naturally dried well before re-oiling.

You spray only the so-called "dirty side" of the filter from about 3" away with oil, running along the crest of the pleat. Wait 20 minutes and touch up any white areas until all the filter is dark pink/ light red. Wait another 20 minutes and dab any excess off with a clean towel.

Just don't rush the procedure and all will be well...

HTH

Bas

Well got the cleaning stuff and read the instructions. According to K&N I dont need to clean it yet as they recommend every 50K miles normal driving and my filter has only don about 20K.

What sort of miles do other people leave there filter before cleaning???

Cleaning it as often as possible won't have any effects. They say, clean at 50,000 miles, but 50,000 miles of... driving on motorways or .. around town, I'd suspect motorways to clog up quicker. Cleaning at 20,000 miles will be fine.

clean it at 20K and see if you notice any difference. If not clean it next time at 30, 40,50.

All too often it's left alone until you finally clean it and you notice a major difference in the way the car feels.

light spray with the oil on 'dirty side' , wipe off residue,

Leave overnight on paper towel and give both sides another wipe before fitting

It shouldn't feel 'wet' in any way.

HTH

Steve

Well pulled my filter out this morning and OMG, have only done 20K miles on normal roads and look at it.:eek:

So following the instructions I knocked the filter a few times to dislodge the crap

I am suprised the bloody car would start with that much crap in the filter

after a few washes with the K&N cleaning fluid (once was nowhere near enough) it looks a lot better:) just need to let it dry and give it a light oil.

Have given the airbox a good clean as well.

Never going to leave it as long again will check it every 10K from now on :thumbup:

And Skoda only replace their filters every 40K:confused:

14479.attach

14480.attach

14481.attach

Filter oiled and back in:thumbup:

Oiling it was interesting.. Following the instructions it tells you to recoat every 20 mins untill you get a even red colour on both sides. I was using the spray oil and was suprised at the number of coats it took to get the "clean" side to even change colour. But paranoia stopped me from going nuts. So after very careful blotting and letting it stand overnight it looked good thismorning.

Need to get a spare to put in so I can still use the car when cleaning the K&N. Might get a Pipercross to try;)

Has it made a difference...Yes. The crisp throttle responce is back and the willingness to rev is back so all good:)

On a different note I have left my strut brace off (had to remove it to get the filter out) as I am trading the car in next week. I can realy feel a difference the steering is less reponcive and there is more vibration in the steering wheel. It is very easy to forget the difference these things make.

Thanks for all the help and good advice

Cheers

G

The larger scale detritus won't cause much of a problem, the air just flows round it. It's the small stuff that blocks the filter mesh that will slow down the airflow.