MP3 Aux in for Fabia

Got the head unit removed using the info found on one of the threads here and quoted below:

having took my brothers out the other night with the correct tools but still had to strip the dash , i will tell you how to do it

1, pull off the heater surround panel , this is quite easy to do , start at one end and pull , you will now be able to access the bottom of the side trims

2, next pull out the trims either side of the radio , these are quite tight , but seem sturdy enough not to break if pulled hard

3, you will now be able to see a couple of squarish holes either side of the radio , you will need a long, thin screwdriver now , push the screwy through the hole nearest the middle of the radio side and push the shiny steel clip in , you should be able to pull the radio out slightly on that side ,repeat for the other side and the radio should be free

However, got evertything connected but only problem is that the feed to the right channel is very poor, left is fine and loud. Have tried all the connectors, have tried different mp3 players and also ensured the radio played through both speakers normally.

Have emailed the seller back for advice and will let you know whether I get a satisfacory solution.

Have emailed the seller after checking the unit carefully I found that one of the cables had came adrift from the plug. I have to return it to him and he will repair and send back so quite hopeful that this will work well.

I will post on here once its fully fitted .

Just to update you on this. Seller was very helpful, repaired the cable and sent it straight back to me. He was also very prompt in dealing with my email queries.

Was a bit fiddly to fit but managed it ok. For now I have just left the lead to hang down the bottom of the dash begind the centre console and I plug it into the mp3 player headphone socket.

Suppose if you were a perfectionist then you could feed it through the glovebox or one of the blank switches but for now I will make do with it where it is(when not in use it can be tucked away and no one sees it.)

Would recommend for anyone thinking of doing this and if I can DIY it then so can you!

Is it not possible to build this yourself I know the layout of the pins are on Stus website it is just a case of figuring out how to wire it up.

Any body got any ideas?????

I am pretty good with a soldering iron and may be able to build them for people can't be expensive to do.

Stigdude, unfortunately there really is nothing to take a picture of!

Think I posted the ebay link at the atart of the thread and now I have a single cable coming under my dashboard that I plug into the headphone socket of the mp3 player.

I too had an FM transmitter but although it was good, it was another thing to rattle around and mine plugged into cig lighter as well so more cables. This way is neat and tidy.

As for sound quality, I personally don't think the Symphony is fantastic quality anyway so this sounds as good as the cd/radio, albeit you need to turn the sound up on your mp3 player to make sure sufficient sound on the car stereo.

Hi.

Here's a pic of where my aux-in cable comes out!

I bought the box off ebay from a guy in Vegas! only took few days to get to me and was less than 30 quid inc postage. Its the version with a USB connection that can be used to control mp3 software on a laptop using the changer buttons. Although I haven't got a laptop to take in the car so haven't tested it!

At the moment I just pick a 'disc' to listen to and sound just comes thru the 3.5mm jack from whatever its plugged into.

Apologies if this pic doesn't work.

Foureyes.

PS - car could do with a valet!

14644.attach

• 1 month later...

Hey good post.

I just got a c able from ebay the other day so i went to fitit today and i had a hell of a time trying to get the damn symphony head unit out. eventualy got it out afted some pulling and swearing.

to my surprise when i got it out the the connector from the e-bay post is inlike the connectors on my symphony. can anyone offer a help.

when i took out the head unit i found the layout just like the one in VRS stus page. space for 3 connectors 2 x 8 pin and 1 x20 pinonly the 20 pin one is empty. the connector on the box i bought is the same as this one

http://eBay.co.uk: AUDI / VW / SEAT / SKODA Aux-in adapter - NEW (item 230116154150 end time 16-Apr-07 15:07:14 BST)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the swift reply.

I've been down the FM transmitter route and don't think they're worth it for the sound quality you get. Equally I don't like the idea disconnecting the CD changer when i've had to pay for it. Has anyone any more reports on the device from Maplins that over-rides the FM signal with the MP3 signal. I'd be interested in how well they wok and how easy they are to install. I'm not bothered about controlling the MP3 player in the head unit. All I want to do is hit play on my MP3 player and hear it through the car stereo.

I bought one of the VAGX1 units way back which fits into the CD changer socket.

iPodmounted.jpg

In terms of performance (headphone jack in iPod to phono plugs) it's fantastic.

Edit: I'd forgotten how clean my dash looked back then....where's that back to black stuff....