Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel

pagh

Test drove a Kia Ceed a couple of weeks ago, and ill just tell you my impressions - am danish, so my english isn`t the best, but what the heck...let`s get on with it. ->

I have never driven a Kia before - they simply didn`t appeal to me. I think the Ceed looks very much like a Toyota Corolla in its styling - which is good - especially considering Kia`s normal design line.

I had a test drive in the in the 1.6 diesel with 115bhp/255nm, it was std. apart from 17" inch wheels and maybe a little lowering, im not sure.

It feels like pretty good quality allround, and i was astonished by how quiet it was compared to my Fabia Combi 1.9 TDI100. The engine was pretty quiet and much smoother than the TDI, but it didn`t quite have the "punch" of the TDI, it was moore linear in it`s delivery. Also when out off boost, it was pretty dead.

Also the boot is much bigger than the Fabia H/B - a very good thing.

The ride - well - i like it when it is firm, which it was, so i was very pleased. But remember that the one i drove had 17" inch alloys.

Kia also offers an impressive 7years/150.000km warranty on the Ceed here in Denmark - i think they will get quite a lot of customers beacuse of this.

Would i buy one? I don`t think so. I think the design is a little too bland. The Fabia has a much more unique styling compared to the Ceed. Also i`m worried about the general quality of the car, and especially how good it is to whitstand rust. In the winter the roads here in DK gets sprayed with salt - so Kia, Huyndai and Daewoo/Chevy normally don`t last long here in DK.

In a couple of months the Ceed will be available with the 2.0 CRDI diesel with 140bhp - could be fun... :cool:

That was all. If you have anything to add, please do. Any questions are welcome. :)

Regards, Michael

intersting , i have got a Test Drive in the Diesel Mid May , they were doing a promotion over here such that you could book a car for a weeks free test drive , will be comparing against my MK 1 octy .at End of May ,

Considering it`s a Kia I was quite impressed, but comparing to its rivals....nahhh.

It has gotten top grades in a danish motoring magasine - but it all depends on what you want from a car, so...

intersting , i have got a Test Drive in the Diesel Mid May , they were doing a promotion over here such that you could book a car for a weeks free test drive , will be comparing against my MK 1 octy .at End of May ,

Nice. We don`t have that option at all here in DK. Opel did something similar a while ago, but not a whole week.

I will be keeping my Fabia, that`s for sure.

• 4 months later...

I've just finished a 3 day test drive in the GS version with the 89bhp diesel engine. I was very pleasantly surprised by the car. The engine was nippy once above 1500rpm and it was also very refined and quiet. The steering was light, though perhaps too light above town speeds, but the handling and roadholding was precise, with little body roll. The ride quality was good on smooth surfaces, but choppy on uneven ones.

The front seat was comfortable and I fitted my 6'3" frame in with no problems at all. Rear seat space was very good, with my 5'5" wife being able to sit behind me in comfort with the seat all the way back.

There were a number of nice touches. The audio controls on the steering wheel had a good feel to them and worked very well. The rotary heating switches were very effective and easy to reach. The instrumentation was well laid out and easy to read. On the other hand the indicator stalk is on the right of the steering wheel, but I understand that is being changed in the near future.

The car averaged 44.8mpg over 220 miles in a mixture of driving conditions. It had done just under 4000 miles so it could well improve with more miles on the clock.

Would I buy one? It's on the shortlist, along with the Octavia, so time will tell, but it did impress me.

I believe they have a "diesel version for the same price as petrol" deal on at the moment too - good news if you want a diesel version.

Does the Cee'd share components with the Hyundai i30? I seem to remember seeing that Kia and Hyundai are linked these days.

It's the same chassis and engines on the i30 , I think.

The Hyundai only has a 5 year warranty , but it's very comprehensive and the Kia only has a 5 year warranty on everything with just some parts covered for the last two

The Kia warranty has changed so its 7 years or 100000 miles on everything now. It only applies to the Ceed, not other Kia's in the range.

The I30 and Ceed are effectively the same car. They use the same engines and bodyshell, but the Hyundai is not made in the same factory. I believe they differ with regards to interior trim and I am told the I30 is set up more soft on the suspension for a more supple ride.

The Kia warranty has changed so its 7 years or 100000 miles on everything now.

... and if anyone keeps the car for 7 years i'll eat my laptop. :rolleyes:

Pure sales ploy nonesense.

The Kia warranty has changed so its 7 years or 100000 miles on everything now.
and if anyone keeps the car for 7 years i'll eat my laptop. Pure sales ploy nonesense.

I've had my current car for almost 6 years and I had my last one for 6 years. I would have appreciated a 7 year warranty on my current car a month ago when I had to get the power steering pump replaced. A sales ploy? Maybe, but it's a warranty that is transferable on to the next owner, so a good selling point.

I've had my current car for almost 6 years and I had my last one for 6 years. I would have appreciated a 7 year warranty on my current car a month ago when I had to get the power steering pump replaced. A sales ploy? Maybe, but it's a warranty that is transferable on to the next owner, so a good selling point.

:thumbup:

I had my last one for 11 years and 180k and plan on keeping this one for at least 6.

Lot to be said for a warranty scheme such as they are offering.

• 3 years later...

Having been the proud owner of a beaut Mk1 Fabia vRS and having failed to be impressed with almost anything about the Mk2 I decided to look elsewhere.

I fancied a 2.0TDI Golf but they were just too expensive and miserly specced. So, I decided to look for something of similar size to the Golf and came up with the Ceed 3 1.6 CRDi hatch. This is the nearest thing I could find to the performance and handling of the Fabia - better on the handling, I should add - and £5K less than the same year/mileage/spec Golf- I kid you not.

So, for those of you who still miss your Mk1 vRS go for a test drive in the Ceed. Like me, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Right now I have the car in my signature but the inexorably rising fuel costs are ending that ownership.

I get the Ceed in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by ming

I get the Ceed in the next couple of weeks.

You'll be pleased with the Cee'd.

My Wife drives one, a 1.6 CRDi (115) since October 2007, it's an LS (equivalent to the now 3, but had half-leather seats) it has over 35,000 miles on and has been trouble free. We run it with 16" wheels and winter tyres at this time of year, and have 17" Cee'd Sport wheels for the Summer months. - the car is noisier than my Superb, but for the price, and at 3 and a half years old, it's still got more warranty left then a brand new Skoda!

On a daily average, she achieves around 50mpg, no matter how it's driven, and on a run at 60mph, 65+ mpg is not unknown. (i believe the face-lift model has a 6 speed box and £35 road tax?) Handeling is Ok on both 16 and 17" wheels and the paint work / build quality aint bad either.

Al.

• 1 month later...

I bought A Cee'd(1.6 CRDi 2) 3 weeks ago and every day it impresses me more, few wee niggles so far mostly to do with the stereo and the randomness of the random on a usb stick but that is minor.... very smooth engine, handles like a dream and has a six speed box, does 55mpg :thumbup::thumbup: oh and £30 Road tax... which is nice...

Edited by WeirdKerr