Flat and overheating VRS

Driving along in a sensible manner (GF in car and nagging) and everything went flat and unresponsive in 4th/5th and above 2500rpm.

The temperature gauge shot up to 110-120, I knocked it out of gear and coasted to the nearest pull in, by which time the temperature was back to the standard 90.

In low gear and low revs the engine is fine, high gear, bit of load flat & heats up very quickly.

No smoke, banging or rattling, and a disturbing 40+mpg for the 30 miles I did like this.

Is this a ****y water pump and the computer is going into safemode, or something more?

53 plate VRS estate.

That my dear friend is the water pump. :thumbdwn: Had exactly the same with mine. was lucky and had mine done under warranty. they checked my head etc and it was fine, they repalced the cam belt at the same time, as its silly not to once they have it all apart in that area.

Bonus. Getting the belt done as well? At least you can rest assured that that won't have problems in the near future. If the garage haven't already ordered the bits, ask them to fot a pump with metal impellers, they are aftermarket improvements to prevent the problems with the plastic ones.