Octavia 90 TDI Intermittent Instrument panel

OK, heres I think a bit more info. The intermittance of this problem is fairly regular , but I cant put it down to any one cause. I did think that the heat inside the cabin may be having an affect on any dryjoints ,expansion ,contraction etc. But I am beginning to suspect the problem is out side the cabin. During the last snap of cold weather , the clocks worked 100% with the cabin temp at a comfortable 18C ish ! Now its mild again they're faulty. Does any body know where the

relavent sensors are as I suspect that one of these or the wiring to it is grounding the circuit and causing the problem.

Cheers

Had exactly the same problem and good old fuse 15 did the trick, have been runing like this for about nine months now no probs. Can live with the reset issue compared to the cost of a new cluster!!

regards Skud 1

• 1 month later...

Hi evryone,

Especially Smudge who's investigating work is exellent.

I'm, Janez (alias John) from Slovenia, driving y. 1999 octavia 1.8 Turbo

Problems with speedo + some signalisation begun this summer when we had like 30+ degrees. And more or less the same is now when we have from -10 to 0. So my guess is, the temperature is not (the only) source of problems.

I resoldered both regulators (TLE4276 big 5pin one and TLE4279 small 8pin one). Plus

more or less all important elements I could reach. Except the main processor for which

I will have to do it at work where I have hot air soldering device. So far nothing helped. Oh yes, it did....for a day or so. And just when I said "..finally.." it happened again. :mad::eek:

I'm pretty sure the problem is on that dasboard (or cluster) and not on same remote sensor. Smudge, I read on some german page that needles could/should not be removed if you tend to use the speedo :(. Nevertheless it would be helpfull and hope that this info was incorrect.

The fuse 15 woks for me as well, but I'm not satisifed with that, I need to know the reason. What is with this fuse nr. 7 I read on this forum?

I was just to do the same test as Smudge did. Tag some wires on both regulators. On input and output to see what happened with supply voltage at malfunction. I suspect electrolitic condensators which are not so longlife especially at diverse temperatures which are common in a cars. It would be very helpfull to get access to a wiring diagram of that cluster but I'm searching for that without success for a long time.

My next steps will be (when I wil have time or when my wife, who's driving that car, will force me to):

- clean (with contact spray) fuse holders

- resolder main processor + some other parts

- repeate Smudge's experiment with more sensing wires (from main processor)

Smudge if you find out how to remove needles or if you notice something new keep us posted.

kind regards

Hi Johanez

Thanks for the kind words. I too have resoldered everything I can get to including the what I think is the main processor. I tried to get to as many components on the dial side as possible , lifting up the paper dials to gain access. I've noticed now that when they work , the rev counter dial 'steps' up . Its no the normal smooth transistion, unless it falls backwards. Now it could be sticking due to me moving the paper dial so I'll check later. Or it may be some damage resoldering the processor IC ?. I'm not to worried if we find out the main cause of this fault.

That would be great Johanez, if you could make repeat measurements of the voltage regulators. My next plan is to lift the 5v output leg of the big regulator and inject 5v with a bench power supply. I want to be sure that enough current is getting through into the circuit. And logic would dictate to me that the big regulator supplies power for the dials ( ! ? ) .

I hope to try this weekend 4th Jan. Keep you posted

• 1 month later...

hi everyone

I living in finland and as everyone know our winter is cold. Usually temperature here in helsinki is between 0 to -20 in winter or even higher. Since autumn I havent discover the problem at all, but in summer and esspecially autumn odometers was bugher.

This is also very common problem here, it would be good to find this some out of box solution. The dealer solution is brand new odometers and say goodby for 600€.

Does anyone know ist possible buy salvage odo and swap that decode with wagcom?Dealer arguing that its not possible, but anyhow they don

I think this should be an offical skoda recall.

Its rediculous that they are allowed to get away with producing faulty speedo's.:thumbdwn:

Afterall its a problem caused by bad manufacturing, not use, or a customer related issue. :P

I can't believe Skoda are getting away with putting faulty gauges in their cars. (which could cause accidents).

I wonder if the police have problems with them????:rolleyes:

I used to work for yamaha, and if a particular model suffered from a problem with anything (this includes out of warranty bikes), the offending item would be replaced free of charge. :thumbup:

Get your act together skoda. :mad:

(we could actually all write to them, and they could make it a recall, if enough people complain, what do you think?)

That would be a good result.

I have a 2000 W reg Octavia with the same problem.

Perhaps we can get a list of names and cars somehow and drop Scoda a line?

Even if they would not replace the whole unit maybe they could point us to someone who makes the units and get the falty chips for us to solder.

I resoldered mine last August. It worked for a few weeks then back to intermittent.

My soldering iron was too big for the job so I don't think that I have done it properly.

I will try agian when I get a new iron.

Tom

I think this should be an offical skoda recall.

Get your act together skoda. :mad:

(we could actually all write to them, and they could make it a recall, if enough people complain, what do you think?)

thats good idea, but just wonder shoud we straigt to abroach factory. Least finnish dealers are not interested issues like that?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone I too have the same problem, started intermittant in december, now dials very rarely work which is why I have joined this forum.

I tried resoldering the big regulator as advised but it hasn't cured the problem. I am now running with fuse 15 removed which is satisfactory for time being.

BBA reman quoted me 150 quid + postage, (

Just a thought,

I believe these regulators have in inhibit facility on pin 2. Can someone who is re-soldering a board take a look and see if pin 2 is left unconnected or connected to a supply rail.

If unconnected then dirt on the pc board could trigger the problem.

If connected to a supply rail via a resistor then dirt around this or a change in resistor value with age could also be a cause.

Ive written a petition letter.

but I need to send it to the right channels. - Direct to skoda.

Also we all need to digitally sign it.

It needs some work. (im not in the best frame of mind this morning) :orb_party

------------------------------------

We the undersigned.

Petition to Skoda LTD,

To make an offical recall to the Skoda Octavia.

The fault is with the gauges, It can be intermittant.

They all zero whilst driving, which is dangerous as you cant tell the

Speed of the car, the revv's, the temperature, or the fuel level.

The trip computer carries on working, and the mpg.

However a temporary fix has been discovered by the users of "briskoda.net"

to remove fuse no. 15, which zero's the digital trip gauges, but the dials

now function, however they dont function correctly.

The cause is believed to be due to dry joints on the regulators at back of the gauges.

This fault makes the car unfit to drive,

and should be replaced Free of charge as a recall irrespective of warrantee.

It is the Octavia mark one.

and is Irrespective of mileage or age of the car.

Sign petition below:

Chris Smith - (Felicia Racer)

Ive written a petition letter.

but I need to send it to the right channels. - Direct to skoda.

Also we all need to digitally sign it.

It needs some work. (im not in the best frame of mind this morning) :orb_party

------------------------------------

We the undersigned.

Petition to Skoda LTD,

To make an offical recall to the Skoda Octavia.

The fault is with the gauges, It can be intermittant.

They all zero whilst driving, which is dangerous as you cant tell the

Speed of the car, the revv's, the temperature, or the fuel level.

The trip computer carries on working, and the mpg.

However a temporary fix has been discovered by the users of "briskoda.net"

to remove fuse no. 15, which zero's the digital trip gauges, but the dials

now function, however they dont function correctly.

The cause is believed to be due to dry joints on the regulators at back of the gauges.

This fault makes the car unfit to drive,

and should be replaced Free of charge as a recall irrespective of warrantee.

It is the Octavia mark one.

and is Irrespective of mileage or age of the car.

Sign petition below:

Chris Smith - (Felicia Racer)

Hi Felicia racer;

I am agreeing with you here, and think that the petition idea is well overdue for this one,

Since I was joining this forum I have tried to help many persons that have the problem, and I orginally discovered the removal of the fuse 15, which I passed to all with problems.

I will help you with all that I can, and will be the first to sign petition for you, as this problem was why I also joined in the forum for 3 years now, approx.

Instrument panels for the Skoda should be lasting for the lifetime of car, and should not need replacement, as not a degradable item.

I have the 1.6 Octavia MK1 engine AEE of the year 2002, which had the fault which I thought that I had cured for me, but it did return, and so I tried putting the panel on test rig that I constructed with all power supplies and earths etc. I found that output was still constant from two regulator integrated circuits here. I am now suspecting electrolytic capacitors making leaks and then curing sometimes. Panel cannot be faulted so good, as gauges cannot be removed easily.

Electronics/ computing/ telecomms was the job for me before I took the retirement, but I gave up the search for the fault, and bought a replacement panel from the scrap dealer for

Edited by soviet
add

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone has come accross the speedo and rev counter intermittently cutting out? Actually, it is more like intermittently cutting in now! Driving along, it will cut in/out if i hit a bump, and i have no idea what is causing it I have taken the car for a diagnostic check, and the garage told me they could not find a fault, so i tried changing the instrument panel, this did not seem to make a difference. It only appears to be the dials that are affected (Speedo, Revs, fuel and temp gague) the digital displays still work, and it is still regestering the miles. Also i changed the electronic sensor on the gearbox, this made no difference either. any suggestions ??????

Hi James_101,

If your fault is like the one for my car here, then if you look very closely you will find that needles for the reading are being forced against end stops, and are trying to read in opposite direction, and are not doing the cutting out as you say. These gauges are using the stepper motors for making the drive, and I suspect breaking down of intermittant electrolytic capacitors here, and making the short circuit to earth, of 5 volt from regulator ICs.

Electrolytic capacitors as you may know here, can cure themselves sometimes, and so we can have intermitant fault.

Please see my other thread in this section.

Thank you

Regards for you

Soviet:rotz::rolleyes::thumbup:

I will look and see if the guages are being pushed down, I never thought of that.

Maybe we can change the capasitors?

I would be glad to be 3rd on the petition as well.

There is no way that I could aford to replace my instrument pannel. Even if Skoda could find the fault and make spares available I wouldn't mind doing the repairs myself.

I accept that older cars require work, I even have my own welder just for that reason ( for previous cars) But that is usualy wear and tear.

I'm sorry I don't have more time to work on this but with young family and job ther is nothing left.

I will keep checking back.

Tom:)

right if everyone could spend 5 mins, pop into your skoda dealer and get some addresses for skoda and this should work.

Im going to pop in 2moro.

But they arnt very customer helpful unfortunatly, so i maynot have such luck.

however im about to search through their website, and ask for someone high up to send the petition to.

UPDATE.

ive send a message to skoda, asking to speak to the correct person. Now we play the waiting game.

Edited by Felicia racer

I will look and see if the guages are being pushed down, I never thought of that.

Maybe we can change the capasitors?

I would be glad to be 3rd on the petition as well.

There is no way that I could aford to replace my instrument pannel. Even if Skoda could find the fault and make spares available I wouldn't mind doing the repairs myself.

I accept that older cars require work, I even have my own welder just for that reason ( for previous cars) But that is usualy wear and tear.

I'm sorry I don't have more time to work on this but with young family and job ther is nothing left.

I will keep checking back.

Tom:)

Hi mowerman;

I am only suspecting electrolytic capacitor fault here, as thios is making some sense, with fault conditions, as I am not proving it here yet, even with the test rig. Gauges are not to be removed easily, and so changing componants is not the easy answer.

I would ask all Briskolians to make the check with the fault, to see if gauges are being forced down past zero end stop position, and then we all confirm that fault is in probability the identical one.

Thank you for reply, and for making also offer to sign a petition.

Regards for you

Soviet:rolleyes::thumbup::)

Edited by soviet
sp

Hi Soviet,

I can confirm that the guages are being pushed down when the fault occurs.

There is an error with the door open buzzer and the low fuel warning as well but I can't be sure exactly what state they are in when the error occurs.

I will keep looking.

I'm sure that with the skills of everyone here we can find a solution.

Tom

Hi Soviet,

I can confirm that the guages are being pushed down when the fault occurs.

There is an error with the door open buzzer and the low fuel warning as well but I can't be sure exactly what state they are in when the error occurs.

I will keep looking.

I'm sure that with the skills of everyone here we can find a solution.

Tom

Hi mowerman,

Thank you for making the checks for this, and it does confirm the fault that you are having is like my one, with gauges going in reverse here back past end stops. So many people on this forum are not having noticed this, and just think that gauges are not registering, with no life.

When fault is occuring the door warning buzzer is none functional here, which is as my fault, but I do not have low fuel warning, only fuel gauge is also being pushed at end stop, as rev counter, speedo, coolent temperature.

I have tried to find fault for this one, but because of access for print, it is not so easy, and I even made the test rig, but gave up with searching. I am the Engineer before retirement, and so I failed this time. As I am doing other things now, I do not have so much time now.

I will put this in the big font now, to ask all others of Briskoda to check this fault, and see if stepper motors are being pushed in reverse past end stops, and not as so many are thinking not doing the registering at all here.

I hope that you are correct that someone here on forum with all skills as mine will find the answer, but for now I am doubting this, and so I think that Skoda petition may be the way for solving it for all, for ever.

Regards for you Tom.

Soviet:rolleyes::):thumbup:

right if everyone could spend 5 mins, pop into your skoda dealer and get some addresses for skoda and this should work.

Im going to pop in 2moro.

But they arnt very customer helpful unfortunatly, so i maynot have such luck.

however im about to search through their website, and ask for someone high up to send the petition to.

UPDATE.

ive send a message to skoda, asking to speak to the correct person. Now we play the waiting game.

Hi Felicia racer,

I sent to you a message on system forum, but not so sure why you did not do the reply. I need to ask if you have had luck with Skoda addresses yet, as I think that your idea is the best one, and I wait to sign your petition here.

Please will you tell us all, of what you have managed to find out now.

Thank you

Regards for you

Soviet:):thumbup:

Edited by soviet
sp

yes sorry i didnt pm you back Soviet.

I would be delighted to add that message you sent me to the petition as a customer report. Along with everyone else's opinions, this will improve our situtation.

but this is the reply I've recieved from skoda.

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent email. I was sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, however, you stated "a particular fault on the Octavia". In the first place this has to be directed to your local retailer who are best placed to deal with an issue. They know who to contact should this be an issue and we can then resolve with the owner.

Yours Sincerely

Christine Massey

yes sorry i didnt pm you back Soviet.

I would be delighted to add that message you sent me to the petition as a customer report. Along with everyone else's opinions, this will improve our situtation.

but this is the reply I've recieved from skoda.

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent email. I was sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, however, you stated "a particular fault on the Octavia". In the first place this has to be directed to your local retailer who are best placed to deal with an issue. They know who to contact should this be an issue and we can then resolve with the owner.

Yours Sincerely

Christine Massey

Soviet - is this problem only on the 1.6 and 2 litre petrols and 90 and 110 TDI's? I haven't seen any posts from anyone with the 1.8T or vRS models with this problem, so I guess it must be those other models. Would be interesting to know if it affects the SDIs too as there are 1000s of taxi drivers in the UK who have done hundreds of thousands of miles in their Mk1s and would have noticed the problem.

Watchdog is a good idea, it sounds like Skoda UK are just fobbing people off onto the local dealers but maybe if they hear that Watchdog might do a program about faults on a modern Skoda (which nowadays they market as being so much more reliable than they were in the 70's/80's), they might get their a**es in gear and do a recall of those dash units.