Pioneer

Hi, Been a while since i've looked at after market ICE, I have a fabia vrs and I was hoping to take out the standard head unit out put this one in its place with built in amp Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Pioneer DEH-2920MP - Pioneer PIO-DEH2920MP

Then get a bit of good old mdf and a friends jigsaw throw the parcel shelf somewhere, pull the speaker wire out of the rear speakers then connect it to these Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Pioneer TS-A2011 - Pioneer PIO-TSA2011.

As you can see I'm on a budget, don't think they look bad for the money.

Got my makeshift radio keys ready :thumbup: when the standard radio is out will I have a big gap underneath once the above is in, if so what have you guys done about it ?

Any advice welcome.

btw I'm keeping the fronts standard for now and I don't own an ipod :rolleyes: so dont need a H/U with adapter.

Either side of the parcel shelf, sooooo many people I thought put aftermarket speakers either in the parcel shelf or on a bit of MDF fitted in the space.

Running some medium priced speaker wire in place of the existing wire I presume that means carpet up ?

I say do NOT upgrade the rears. When did you last go to a gig with the band playing behind you? You'll get lots more benefit out of spending the money on the fronts! :)

Yea I hear you Tom, but I dont want to mess about with spacers and that..

I might as well do the bass trick for the ease of that though.

Plus I dont plan to keep this car for that long because of the miles I do, so I thought I'd just bang the parcel shelf back in with the oem radio, job done.

I think the car is small enough to be able to enjoy the sound at the rears, the question is does anyone have any thoughts on the equipment.

I say do NOT upgrade the rears. When did you last go to a gig with the band playing behind you? You'll get lots more benefit out of spending the money on the fronts! :)

Yes that was one of the points I was getting at.

The reason you install in MDF etc is to give a stiffer shelf and more damping to get better bass response. That is also one of the reasons the shelf is used, as you then have the boot space as your `box`.

I would seriously look at using some components in the front and possibly a small sub, instead of rear shelf speakers.

Doors and speakers are really not hard to work with and the sound quality you get out of them far far exceeds anything that comes from the back.

Plus the fact that when you start modifying the rear shelf in any way, you can't leave your car anywhere as the local scroats will clock it and have a go.

If you use those 8" rear soeakers (Which are ok btw), you will need a substantial braced shelf of at least 18mm thickness to stop vibrations and the whole shelf moving. Then it needs to be anchored very securely as in a crash it will try and come straight over the seat and decapitate the passengers :eek:

I've been into car audio for years and would never put speakers anywhere near the rear shelf again.

Okay, thanks all I've taken your advice on board and now I will put my money and efforts into the fronts.

So,head unit will be Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Pioneer DEH-P5900MP - Pioneer PIO-DEHP5900MP and for the rear speakers i'm just going to pop these Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Vibe Slick 60 - Vibe VIB-SLICK60 in the same place the standard one are.

For the fronts i need to sort a spacer out, had a read of a few posts on here I think these will fit Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Alpine SPR-17C - Alpine ALP-SPR17C.

I hope mixing all the brands up wont matter to much, but thanks for your advice so far guys.

Good man ;)

The choices you've made are good speakers, but if you can squeeze components in the front it will bring the treble more in focus and give a smoother overall sound.

Have a read over on talkaudio as they are full of advice on car audio.

I am a member there so feel free to PM me for advice if required :)

Ultimately you will probably be advised to get a small amp for the fronts. and at least a sheet of sound deadening for the doors - Then the money pit starts ;)

For the rear speakers I would suggest mounting them through a piece of 4mm MDF if you can, as this will give improved damping over the usual mount in plastic.

If not, then not the end of the world.

I'd also agree that stretch to components on the front if you can :)

And so it goes on....

I've just looked at the rear speakers and the bloody seat belts in the way, how the hell can anything bigger fit in the same spot, arghh.

I'm just going to get the fronts sorted first, buy the head unit get the components for the front aswell, (thanks all, what do you recomend thats not to pricey) a good friend told me upgrading them and putting a little alpine sub under the seat for the base is the way to go.

Cheers.

Bushy.

Ice newbie !!

And so it goes on....

I've just looked at the rear speakers and the bloody seat belts in the way, how the hell can anything bigger fit in the same spot, arghh.

I'm just going to get the fronts sorted first, buy the head unit get the components for the front aswell, (thanks all, what do you recomend thats not to pricey) a good friend told me upgrading them and putting a little alpine sub under the seat for the base is the way to go.

Cheers.

Bushy.

Ice newbie !!

The component choice is linked directly to what you want to do ultimately. If you plan to amp then eventually this will bring a huge improvement in sound quality and volume. If not then choose some that are more efficient so that they give the head unit amp less of a hard time.

Have a look over on car audio direct at the relavent sized components. I've had good results with Pioneer components, but they do ultimately like an amp.

Sub wise, I wouldn't reccomend an under seat thing as they don't really give any more than a little thump at low volumes.

If you can afford it and have the space, go for a single 10" in a small sealed box and the relavent amp. Again there is so much choice depending on what you are looking for.

The best bet is to post on Talkaudio and see what others think to get a cross section of thoughts.