Looking to try Linux

stevenh

ok, i downloaded the 32 bit version of 7.04 and it boots ok.....to a username/password prompt.

I have tried nothing, ubuntu, Ubuntu, oem, administrator but no luck.

Any ideas?

Sounds like it is asking you to setup a username of your choice with a password of your choice. You may have entered these details earlier on in the install. If all else fails, re-install and try again.

Writing this from Ubuntu via wireless, everything works on my top spec laptop, apart from sound but not looked into this after 3 months of having it on. Good Luck...

Sounds like you may have got a bad burn or download, try the check CD option that comes up at the first screen instead of start/install option. Redownloading and reburning should solve the problem.

aj

Sounds like you may have got a bad burn or download, try the check CD option that comes up at the first screen instead of start/install option. Redownloading and reburning should solve the problem.

aj

Nope if it was a bad CD the file checksums wouldn't have matched and the installer would have failed with an error.

I would suggest reinstalling and then making sure you set the password to something you know when it asked. eg:

username = myname

password = Em4nym

Obviously change that to something a wee bit more secure :)

Then when you finish the install and it asks for the username and password you will need to use the one you supplied.

HTH

I am not installing it yet...just running it from the Live CD.

All things point to a dodgy download as running from CD shouldn't ask for Username/Password apparently.

Will have another look later this week - spent all day trying to script up a LoadRunner script against an Ajax app so had enough of the techie stuff :lol:

There should be no user login with the live CD and there will be nowhere to set one as the system loads, thats why I think its a bad burn. It should just boot straight to the desktop.

* edited to add* you must have posted whilst I was typing steven. Keep at it though, worth it in the end!

... could only create a file system root and swap partition, no home or boot partitions for me.

Unless you've got multiple discs there's no real benefit in having separate partitions anyway - a disc problem that takes out one partition will probably take out the whole drive.

Unless you've got multiple discs there's no real benefit in having separate partitions anyway - a disc problem that takes out one partition will probably take out the whole drive.

That isn't true at all.

There have been plenty of times I have been called out to fix systems where somebody had toasted the file system iteself.

- You need a separate /boot for most installers and it is safer too as this can be unmounted after boot

- You need a / partition and this one is none negotiable as you can't install without it

- If you use swap, which you will you need a /swap partition as it uses a different file system

- Having a /home is a nice precaution. It has saved a lot of peoples data and allows for reinstalls without having to worry about the data as much.

Thanks