Well its a VW underneath....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the people I've spoken to about my last two Skoda's have been very positive, yes I get "They're good cars now" which I know, which is why I've bought two of them and I have to admit I've used the "Its all badged VW/Audi underneath" line myself to shut some people up who still think the engine is in the back and the car is made by Czech prison convicts.

Badge snobs will dislike the car no matter what or who made it, it could be exactly the same as a Bentley but with the Skoda badge they'll still look down on it, these people are normally driving debadged BMW's because they don't want people to know they've got the poverty spec with no options and the smallest engine.

Quite worryingly, I have had more positive comments for the basic black Vectra I have right now than I ever got for my Octavia, people have NO TASTE!! :rolleyes:

I had people turn their noses up at the Seat Leon as a budget Spanish motor - right up until they went in it. Then they realise that its actually a good car. Many have laughed at me for buying the Skoda and commented on it being a come down from the S3 and Golf V5 which were our cars about 3 years ago, both having being purchased when they were 12 months old. But, as with the Seat, I expect that depreciation (measured by cash in my pocket) will be similar over the 3 years ownership that I have planned, that running costs will be very low compared with the Audi badged version of the Golf (and the VW badged version for that matter), reliability will be as good as the Audi. VW and Seat, that it'll be as much fun as those cars too and that it will not fall apart and become a pile of scrap in just a few years. Surely the Mk1 Octavia and the number of felicia's etc that you still see looking in good nick are testament to that.

steps down off soap box and walks back to seat to a rapturous applause

Following on from comments on another thread, how do people feel when they show off their new Octy (like I've done with the neighbours, workmates etc) and all they say is "yeah, really nice, but it is a VW underneath" or suchlike.

At first I didn't mind, but now I'm getting a tad annoyed. Any ideas as to what my comeback to them should be?

"But mine cost

well I'm waiting for mine collecting it on Sept 1st. But so far all I have had are comments like "they are really nice cars", "they have improved loads", "the 0-60 is what!!!!!!",

effectively I am getting a VRS TDi brand new for my car allowance when my colleagues are driving round in basic Golf S TDi's

I saw an old Top Gear last night and they were doing the "cool wall". When the Fabia VRS came up it was deemed "uncool" as its a Skoda (fair enough), and they said that Skoda drivers were people that were too tight to buy a VW! I think its a case of "too savvy" to buy the VW myself, but then I am biased with a Skoda and a Seat in the driveway (.......and seriously uncool)!

Paint work excluded, I am proud to drive my Skoda. I love it and if people don't get why I bought it they clearly no nothing about cars at the moment. The looks of the car grow on me every day. This was brought into sharp focus when I saw my vRS next to a new BMW 318 owned by my mate. Sorry Ian, it looks naff!

s3akr,

My mate's ex bought a black Leon 1.9 Tdi on a 56 plate, well she has put a deposit on it. They both really like it and chose it over the looks of an Alfa. Nice car.

Paul.

Is the Skoda a cut price VW or are VW's overpriced Skoda's? :rofl:

I priced up an A4 Avant a few weeks back and it would have cost 30k with the kit I wanted. The VRS estate I now have on order costs 7k less rrp and still has more kit!!! I know the A3 is strictly the equivalent in terns of chasis but size wise I think the A4 is nearer; especially on the avants/estates (A3 sportback was very limited in the boot!)

To top if off I think the VRS drives better than some of the newer Audis too!

Also, I'd say ive only ever seen a dozen VRS on the road. You see Golfs and Audis all day long. :P

Lee

Also, I'd say ive only ever seen a dozen VRS on the road. You see Golfs and Audis all day long. :P

Lee

You've seen that many vRS on the road. I work in NW London and they are rare as hen's teeth IMHO (and I like it that way). :cool::D I have yet to see a new Fabia as well.

As for Golfs and Audis (and BMWs) - epedimic proprotions; Argh!!!! :mad: :(

As to you price comparison; you're absolutely right :thumbup:

• 6 months later...