Any QS's/Estimators out there? Nelp needed

MrBump

I'm currently doing an HNC in Quantity Surveying and have a question in an estimating tutorial that's really got me stumped as it really differs from the stuff we've covered to date. :confused:

Can anyone help me out calculating a pro rata rate for concrete?? :o

Brilliant, thanks!!

I've got the rate for a cubic metre of concrete using a 1:3:6 mix laid to a thickness of between 150 - 450mm.

The variation is to change the mix to a 1:2:4 mix with a thickness of <= 150mm.

Amending for the mix isn't an issue, i've done that plenty of times - but how do i take into account the decrease in labour output due to the reduced slab thickness?? The data sheet i've got states that placing a cubic metre of concrete 150 - 450mm thick takes hours 4 hours, but the same voume laid at 150mm takes 6 hours.

Any help would be great!!

I'm not sure if I've understood what you are looking for correctly. Are you looking to calculate the new rate per m3? Your labour costs per m3 have increased by 50% (6hr = 150% of 4Hr). Therefore if you know the labour cost for the m3 @ 150 - 450, then add 50% to it for <= 150.

HTH

I'm not sure if I've understood what you are looking for correctly. Are you looking to calculate the new rate per m3? Your labour costs per m3 have increased by 50% (6hr = 150% of 4Hr). Therefore if you know the labour cost for the m3 @ 150 - 450, then add 50% to it for <= 150.

HTH

Why didn't i see that??? Nailed it, thanks!!!!!! :thumbup:

If I'm reading the question correctly it's nonsense. AIUI they're saying it takes 50% longer to pour a given area a 149mm than at 151mm thickness!

They said the same volume laid at the different thickness, therefore the area would change.....

They said the same volume laid at the different thickness, therefore the area would change.....

I misread the datasheet then; mind you I still think that the smoothing time per unit volume will be a linear function of thickness (since area covered per unit volume is an inverse linear function of thickness), rather than a step function.

Contrarywise; if you don't understand the principles, how can you tell when your computery measures are talking hallibut?

Case in point. QS and I were measuring the office using a laser rule. Looked at result and said "That's not right; it's about 1/3 more than that." Cutting a long story short, it turned out we were measuring a return off a ruler in someone's desk tidy.

I misread the datasheet then; mind you I still think that the smoothing time per unit volume will be a linear function of thickness (since area covered per unit volume is an inverse linear function of thickness), rather than a step function.

I agree, but I guess it's just easier that way

this is a joke, im a qs and the amount of time they spend teaching you this could be spent on teaching you something usefull like cad measurement.

I guess they are trying to give the student QS the "tools" to hack variation rates of greedy groundworks subbies :rolleyes: