Bent rear...........

piv34uk

just tracked my car today on our "hunter laser tracker" and found the back axle to be quite badly aligned...the n/s/r toe was miles out and as you can only equalise the toe it took several attempts to get both sides within spec;

as i bought new (03) and have never hit a kerb i am surprised the amount it was out, the steering had always been right hand down, but now it is cured..front toe was out a touch as well but it now drives dead straight...anyone else had this problem???:confused:

:thumbup: Phil

Yes, they all seem to be going left on their own account. When I had my tyres done they did a 'free' alignment check and it was quite out. But at an addition

Yes, they all seem to be going left on their own account.

Quinten was that a four wheel track you had done or just the front? It was the rear end of mine that was causing the front to be out, well worth doing...

:D give me a shout and i`ll see what i can do;)

:thumbup: Phil

Quinten was that a four wheel track you had done or just the front? It was the rear end of mine that was causing the front to be out' date=' well worth doing...

:D give me a shout and i`ll see what i can do;)

:thumbup: Phil[/quote']

I'm no mechanic so I couldn't tell you exactly, but they hooked up things to all 4 wheels, stuck the steering wheel central and played around with a laser...

Not just common to the Octy.

We have the VAG four wheel alignment gear at work' date=' and id say 80% of Golfs I check have the rear beam out to some degree.[/quote']

Ross, far enough out to affect the front track:confused: yes i know lasers don`t bend and i know i run F1`s and being rotational they tend to follow any track on the road, i was just surprised how far it was out..........and who`s idea was it to only be able to equalise it side to side instead of independently?????????

:confused: Phil

I'd be curious to know how my 2001 Y reg is doing. it has never had a tracking check in 2 1/2 years. That said, tyre wear is even and it does not pull left or right. Tomorrow when the KW2's are fitted will put paid to that though.

Ross' date=' far enough out to affect the front track:confused: yes i know lasers don`t bend and i know i run F1`s and being rotational they tend to follow any track on the road, i was just surprised how far it was out..........and who`s idea was it to only be able to equalise it side to side instead of independently?????????

:confused: Phil[/quote']

The front track was also more than likely out. the rear beam is solid so its never going to be possible to adjust them seperately, for that you need independant rear suspension. The 4x4 rear axle adjust independantly but not by much.

If you rear axle geometry is out it will cause the vehicle to drift as the front wheels are following a different path to the rears.

• Administrators
The front track was also more than likely out. the rear beam is solid so its never going to be possible to adjust them seperately' date=' for that you need independant rear suspension. The 4x4 rear axle adjust independantly but not by much.

If you rear axle geometry is out it will cause the vehicle to drift as the front wheels are following a different path to the rears.[/quote']

Yipee, so downloading the drift bible was not in vain...my rear was also out, but I left it as only Big K's hammer could save it, tyre rotation is the key, or not...

My 02 reg octavia Tdi has had this problem since new,Ive had various people check/adjust the wheel alignment ,including 2 Skoda dealers.The problem persists.Does anyone know where I can get it checked on the proper VAG gear by someone who knows what their doing?Im in the N yorks area