Odd performance and shaking

Okay. My Octavia (a 1.9 TDi Ambiente estate) has been through the wars. In October last year it was hit nearly head on by a Clio doing too much in a residential area (my car was parked). Anyway they only fixed bodywork, and the turbo had gone which they insisted wasn't due to the accident so I had to replace the turbo out of my own pocket.

Anyway this co-incided with me losing my job and since then the car has only done about 3,000 miles if that. The issue I have is that the car doesn't feel right. There is a shuddering that goes through the car often on acceleration now, moreso uphill, but it's almost always present. I can really feel it shaking through the steering column. On top of that the performance isn't as responsive or good as it was just after they replaced the turbo. Now no work whatsoever has been done since the turbo replacement, but these symptoms have been ongoing the last 4-5 months and I've not bothered to have anything done about it. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to the garage? It's due an MOT soon anyway and I'll have a minor service done.

Put the handbrake on tight, and try pulling away in 1st. Does the front of the car pull up or can you feel the car pulling against the rear brakes?

To me this sounds like the clutch could be slipping and then biting again giving you the juddering, would also account for the loss of acceleration.

No the car lifts in front, as I'd expect it to, and I feel no shaking through the column at that point. Tends to only be when driving around 2-3000 rpm. Mind you I also think the gear ratios have shifted up slightly, though that could be due to the slick seeming loss of power. I used to be able to do 30 in 4th no problem, not it's nearing stall if I drop lower than 28 so I have to be careful. I also find I'm shifting into 5th slightly later on acceleration as well.

I'd just like to point out I know next to nothing about cars and haven't modified it in any way. I know from past experience what a MAF is, but a dual-weighted flywheel.

Right here we go.A dual mass flywheel is a new"ish" idea that started appearing about eight years ago on volvo's etc. it is if you like a ordinary flywheel with the driving ring round the edge but the centre is not fixed to the outer bit like a normal flywheel.It is instead spring mounted to it and moves in like dynamic motion against each other.This primarily removes the need for a sprung clutch plate like you got in older cars and is supposedly more reliable.I personally dont agree and think that its yet another idea to cost owners more money as unsprung clutches dont cost any less and of course if you put a new dual mass on you would fit a clutch aswell wouldn't you.Makes sense to while the box is out doesn't it.Upon failure they tend to do one of two things.They either lock up tight making gear selection very hard or they slop up and cause clutch take up to be very sluggish.Reverse tends to be a lot easier to spot the trouble.Oh joy just looked in the book at work.Your car has a dual mass flywheel will have a think about your problem and get back to you:thumbup:

Cheers Steve - and it's nothing whatever like what I'd have meant by "dual mass"! I'd have called that something like 2-piece, and was thinking that "dual mass" meant 2 balance masses on a flat plate, rather than the usual one big casting. Live and learn...