PAS stopped working!!!

lummox, sorry to sound thick.

but earth from what to what plugs on the pump?

battery to engine?

because the current earthing goes from the battery to the chasis the further down chasis to engine.

might try an earth from the battery to the engine directly.

Hum I had a problem once with a nova GTE brand new after six months the gauges kept flicking about turned out to be bad earth from chasis to engine.

The earth at the big multi plug, the supply is only half a circuit.

And when checking a consumer on a electrical circuit it should be connected not unplugged.

If they are ok then you need to check the signal live on the other plug, this should be live with the engine running.

The earth at the big multi plug, the supply is only half a circuit.

And when checking a consumer on a electrical circuit it should be connected not unplugged.

the big plug the one in the middle I check this unplugged from the pump

metered accross the two pins is that what you mean by the multi plug or am I missing somthing

sorry to be a pain steep learning curve ect.

Right in doing what you have though correct in theory isnt quite right.

You have checked that there is a live and earth to the pump that is great. But by disconnecting it you have taken the pump out of the equation. If you check the live and earth with the pump connected for example you check the connection from the live and the earth in the pump.

So for example if you have a live and earth at the plug disconnected you may assume all is ok. But there could be a fault in the pump wiring inside the control unit itself. So if you check it connected for an earth for example you may find it doesnt have one if there is a poor connection at the plug or an internal fault.

argh got it yep see where your coming from.

Ok so where is the other end of the plug connected to?

+ must be the one on top of the battery via a fuse? (check the colour code of the wire)

- where does that go?

thinking there cant be a short in the pump as it would have taken the fuse out.

so connected up to a meter plug in place i should read the resistance of the motor windings.

if OC then the pumps shot?

It wont be a short but can be open circuit this wouldnt blow the fuse. You could rear resistance if you like but im taking about just checking if power is there as this is the first step.

Like I say hen you need to check if you have the switching live there to say the engine is running and the ECU will turn the pump on.

There are two types (TRW and KOYO) so I would imagine you need to make sure you get the right one, I don't know if they are interchangeable.

You'll need 0.8l fluid.

Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are fully off the ground. Put the front wheels in straight ahead position.

Open the screwed lid of the hydraulic oil reservoir.

With the engine off turn the steering wheel 10 x from stop to stop. Inspecting the hydraulic oil level and if necessary top up

Loosely screw on the screwed lid of the hydraulic oil reservoir, do not tighten. Start engine and run for approx. 10 seconds.

Switch off engine. Inspecting the hydraulic oil level and if necessary top up

Loosely screw on the screwed lid of the hydraulic oil reservoir, do not tighten.

Repeat the following steps until the hydraulic oil level no longer drops. The hydraulic oil level must reach the top marking.

♦ Start the engine.

♦ Turn steering wheel 10 x from stop to stop.

♦ Switch off engine.

♦ Inspecting the hydraulic oil level and if necessary top up

Screw the lid by hand onto the engine pump aggregate reservoir.

Thanks Stu, will have to find out what version I have then, before going and finding one.

the dealer will be able to tell me which one I have.

Is this common for them to go?

I have never had any hastle with PAS before and have owned plenty of cars.

Lummox

found the answers yep your right all pumps have to be coded to the car.

main dealer job.

the pumps all have different codes aswell mine requires a 6Q0 423 155 AE.

so the one on ebays no good.

I am between the devil and the deep blue sea.

unless I can find a scrappy with the exact one.

Ok, I've just checked for you and that part is also fitted to -

2005 - 2008 Polo Fox

1999 - 2003 Lupo

2004 - 2006 Lupo

2002 - 2005 Polo

2005 - 2008 Polo

2003 - 2005 Cordoba

2006 - 2008 Cordoba

2002 - 2005 Ibiza

2006 - 2008 Ibiza

2000 - 2004 Fabia

2005 - 2008 Fabia

2007 - 2008 Fabia II

2006 - 2008 Roomster

Ever thought of joining Freedom?? :P ;)

• 2 months later...

I've had power steering issues. Using the measuring blocks function in VAG com, the PAS pump apparently thought there was 18.4V supplied to it. I visually inspected it (no corrosion/loose wires), then I measured it with a meter and the supply was only 12.4V.

So, I got another pump from a breakers yard for 120 quid and fitted it myself. It DID NOT need programing to the car - just plug and play. Maybe it is only a brand new pump that needs initally programing. I get the impression it doesn't need to be unique to the individual car.