Octavia 2.0 lt diesel with dsg gearbox

I currently have an Octavia 1.9 lt diesel coupled to a dsg auto box. I am thinking of changing to a 2.0 lt diesel (140) model also with a dsg auto box, but I've heard that this engine/gearbox combination is not very well matched. Some help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mal

There are plenty of posts on the subject of DSGs and TDi - my PD140 with DSG is perfectly matched and I would never consider going back to a manual.

Don't hesitate buy one.

I wouldnt imagine it is too dissimilar from the 1.9 with DSG, they are both relatively advanced diesel engines.

I have SMG (same thing but the BMW version) and I think it's great. I have been thinking about an Octavia and I would have to go for the DSG box. It is a shame that they don't offer the DSG on either of the VRS models.

I wouldnt imagine it is too dissimilar from the 1.9 with DSG, they are both relatively advanced diesel engines.

I have SMG (same thing but the BMW version) and I think it's great. I have been thinking about an Octavia and I would have to go for the DSG box. It is a shame that they don't offer the DSG on either of the VRS models.

No - not the same at all. SMG is an eletronically ativated sequential g/box with a single clutch. Much longer change times. BMW is working on a DSG equivalent which will be available soon. Mind you, the BMW engine is way better than any VAG diesel.

If you want DSG, buy the Golf GTi instead of a VRs - as a BMW driver you at least won't have to suffer the embarassment of the boy-racer "boot plank"

wmtaylor

Just posted a reply on another post about the DSG box so please excuse.

If you want a comparison between manual and DSG then go for the DSG, it seems archaic to press pedals and push levers, much like the early cars compared to saddling up the horse.

Sorry I am being flippant I do understand the pleasure of driving a car with a manual gearbox, the most enjoyable car i have ever driven was an early mini with sliding windows, fabulous.

However, back to the question, I have the L&K 2.0 TDI and I am still running in so I am using steady acceleration, but I find the gearbox can be hesitant and I am very aware of when it changes gear, I have been used to a torque converter automatic where the changes could not be noticed.

Having said that these criticisms are minor, to all intents and purposes it works okay and I feel that it will work better when I get round to normal acceleration, and I may well be sheltering the car to unnecessary creeping acceleration, which is strange as I have had some big, powerful, fast cars.

david

We've got two PD140 with DSG cars in our household, mine's an Octy II and SWMBO drives a Golf GT TDi and they're both great to drive, well matched and in 'real world' driving almost as quick as my old BMW 330d auto ;)

Most of the time you can only tell the gearchanges by the drop/rise in revs although pulling out of T junctions can be interesting when it tries to use 2nd then decides you want to go faster so kicks down to 1st :eek: :rofl: it just needs an adjustment to the technique to get over that though :thumbup:

peterg1955

yes that is when this box is most obvious, approaching a give way junction without stopping and asking it to accelerate without stopping. It seems to think twice about what gear to use, so you get a jerkiness. I also notice it, after a torque converter box. changing from 1st to 2nd mechanically, and then every gear change due to rev changes. With torque converters you dont hear any rev changes. However I assume that as it doesnt run in heavy oil, there will not be any drag as there is with a torque converter, I havent put my foot down yet.

david

No, they don't blip the throttle as they only change down when the speed has reduced enough to allow a smooth gearchange... it's not a Ferrari flappy paddle style gearbox, it's a normal, easy to use, unobtrusive gearbox and once you have adapted to it, it is very easy to use. :thumbup::D